Railway cottages

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
stevief

Post by stevief »

simonm wrote: Being a former Gunner / Bombadier myself you are quite right. Leeds has had a decent history with the Royal Artillery. We presently have 269Bty at Carlton Barracks and the road "Barrack road" once housed the Royal Horse Artillery regiment! Trinity Church is the official church of the Royal Artillery in Leeds as well! Didn't there used to be the remains of what looked like old stables on Barrack Road?At it's highest point,where the car showroom is now.I can remember seeing them until the early 90's.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

stevief wrote: simonm wrote: Being a former Gunner / Bombadier myself you are quite right. Leeds has had a decent history with the Royal Artillery. We presently have 269Bty at Carlton Barracks and the road "Barrack road" once housed the Royal Horse Artillery regiment! Trinity Church is the official church of the Royal Artillery in Leeds as well! Didn't there used to be the remains of what looked like old stables on Barrack Road?At it's highest point,where the car showroom is now.I can remember seeing them until the early 90's. I know its poss the wrong thread, but I think there is still a part of some of the barracks standing. Its a cash and carry from memory opposite the Nissan Garage entry.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Part of the barracks is still standing. It is between the Nissan grage and the Jaguar garage. The old officers mess building was the Doctors emergency night surgery. Not sure quite what the small red brick building over the road was!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Ah yes, didn't realise that was party of it- should have done though, been past it often enough. Wonder if there are any Leodis photos that you can see the doctors surgery on and tie it up?

simonm

Post by simonm »

FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: Being a former Gunner / Bombadier myself you are quite right. Leeds has had a decent history with the Royal Artillery. We presently have 269Bty at Carlton Barracks and the road "Barrack road" once housed the Royal Horse Artillery regiment! Trinity Church is the official church of the Royal Artillery in Leeds as well! Simon, i was in the Royal Artillery Cadets at carlton barracks and spent many a rememberance sunday at trinity church, strangely enough when i decided to join up i went for 7 Para RHA! (Didn't last long in there mind) Plenty of Gunners about these parts! (The right sort of gunner obviously, not the red and white shite from down south!) Well well, I was in 7RHA! Based out in Osnabruck (sp). Spent my initial months in RA at Woolwich. Too close for a Leeds fan applied from my training rgmnt of 45 and was sent to take tests for 7RHA. Passed and found my way to Brize for the para sections. Passed with flying (no pun intended) colours and joined the rgmnt in Germany. However, many months later I found myself secconded to 29rgmnt RA in plymouth and sailing South to the south Atlantic... Not a happy camper I can tell you!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Now that this has turned into a thread on Chapeltown Barracks perhaps I can mention that in 1898 my grandfather completed 12 twelve years of service and left the Army at these barracks.At that time the Barracks were home to the 2nd Dragoon Guards....The Queen's Bays, a Cavalry Regiment. Despite being a Londoner my grandfather stayed in Leeds and having spent 12 years with horses joined Leeds City Transport driving first Horse Trams and later Electric ones.

Hotitalian

Post by Hotitalian »

There is a whole row of houses with reference to the Gunners if you go past teh rugby ground with it to yoiur left all the way to the lights and turn right towards butcher hill
Hot

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Hi HotitalianThat's Queenswood drive, they are the ones we are talking about earlier in the thread.

Otleybard

Post by Otleybard »

I was at Beckett Park School in the 1950s and '60s and well remember 'Gunners' Row'. Think they were allocated after WW2 to former artillery soldiers, quite a few of whom had received terrible injuries.With regard to the NER Cottage Homes in Kirkstall Lane, I think a lot of the pre-grouping companies' individual welfare schemes were continued until well after 1923. Incidentally, the Sayers Close sheltered housing between the cottages and Headingley Station was (is?) run by the Railway Housing Association. My late Mum 'blagged' her way into a lovely bungalow in the 1980s by stressing the fact that her father-in-law, who died in 1918, had been Station Master at Kirkstall.    

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

The Council Social Services offices at the end of Barrack Road affectionately known as the 'Blind School' used to be barracks, you can still see the where the stables were in the courtyard. I don't know which regiment used them.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.