Railway cottages

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Has anybody else noticed the 2 North Eastern Railway cottages on Kirkstall lane near Headingley station. One is a cottage but the other has 2 floors although they both have the same plaque on them.
Attachments
__TFMF_hitsr245ft4sfb45dna4pe55_47ed82a5-8c88-4b3f-84d9-72b7dbcf3a2c_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_hitsr245ft4sfb45dna4pe55_47ed82a5-8c88-4b3f-84d9-72b7dbcf3a2c_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

When I wandered past here last Thursday to see the Steam hauled returning Scarborough Spa Express pass through Headingley Station it occured to me that the NER had become the LNER in the Railway Amalgamation of 1923. I wonder why they were using the old initials in 1926. There is also a metal plaque on another pair of houses which predates this one (1922 if I remember correctly)

stevief

Post by stevief »

Phill_d wrote: Has anybody else noticed the 2 North Eastern Railway cottages on Kirkstall lane near Headingley station. One is a cottage but the other has 2 floors although they both have the same plaque on them. I used to walk past those regularly.Don't know much about them though.Have you noticed the alms house further down the hill?Also,on Queenswood Drive there is a row of houses called 'Gunnery Row' opposite the club.I'd like to know more about those.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

stevief wrote: Phill_d wrote: Has anybody else noticed the 2 North Eastern Railway cottages on Kirkstall lane near Headingley station. One is a cottage but the other has 2 floors although they both have the same plaque on them. I used to walk past those regularly.Don't know much about them though.Have you noticed the alms house further down the hill?Also,on Queenswood Drive there is a row of houses called 'Gunnery Row' opposite the club.I'd like to know more about those. Hi Stevie, i've often wondered about them, i think they are actually called 'Gunners Row' and they have a Royal Artillery 'Cap' badge on them aswell so they are something to do with that but i haven't been able to find out anything on leodis or anywhere.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I was suprised they hadn't been mentioned on here before! I've never read anything about them! Maybe we can get that Y.E.P chap to John Thorpe to stick an article in his Saturday night spread?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

stevief

Post by stevief »

FarnleyBloke wrote: stevief wrote: Phill_d wrote: Has anybody else noticed the 2 North Eastern Railway cottages on Kirkstall lane near Headingley station. One is a cottage but the other has 2 floors although they both have the same plaque on them. I used to walk past those regularly.Don't know much about them though.Have you noticed the alms house further down the hill?Also,on Queenswood Drive there is a row of houses called 'Gunnery Row' opposite the club.I'd like to know more about those. Hi Stevie, i've often wondered about them, i think they are actually called 'Gunners Row' and they have a Royal Artillery 'Cap' badge on them aswell so they are something to do with that but i haven't been able to find out anything on leodis or anywhere. That's right 'Gunners Row' cheers FarnleyBloke.We might learnsomething now we've got phill d on board!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I doubt it Stevie.. I know bugger all about them! Iwas suprised to spot them to be honest!!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Gunner is a rank in the Royal Artillary. My Grandpa was a gunner in the RA in WWII. I'll try ask him if he knows, but this is not really his area so not sure what he'll know. Not seen a pic of the cottage, but was it maybe once a barracks? or housing for former soldiers. I seem to remember "The Colours Association Armed Forces Federation" was housed in the building after reading it in something years ago in the library to this effect.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Being a former Gunner / Bombadier myself you are quite right. Leeds has had a decent history with the Royal Artillery. We presently have 269Bty at Carlton Barracks and the road "Barrack road" once housed the Royal Horse Artillery regiment! Trinity Church is the official church of the Royal Artillery in Leeds as well!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

simonm wrote: Being a former Gunner / Bombadier myself you are quite right. Leeds has had a decent history with the Royal Artillery. We presently have 269Bty at Carlton Barracks and the road "Barrack road" once housed the Royal Horse Artillery regiment! Trinity Church is the official church of the Royal Artillery in Leeds as well! Simon, i was in the Royal Artillery Cadets at carlton barracks and spent many a rememberance sunday at trinity church, strangely enough when i decided to join up i went for 7 Para RHA! (Didn't last long in there mind) Plenty of Gunners about these parts! (The right sort of gunner obviously, not the red and white shite from down south!)