Rawdon WW2 defences

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Apologies if this is elsewhere on the site, but yesterday on a walk around Billing hill in Rawdon I came across a 20'x20' stone flat roofed building with two bricked up windows either side.Behind that was a brick bunker with a small walk in room with a manhole besides it and a deep square shaft with some old pipes. forward of the room were 3 manholes and vent pipes, one hole revealing a very large underground room.Above that were the concrete bases and bolts for the gun emplacement. Anyone confirm the vintage of the buildings and their exact useage?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I just wonder if there is any connection between that building (which I've never seen or noticed) and the Royal Observer Corps underground reporting bumker which was on the other side of Harrogate Road in the industrial estate opposite the AVRO factory. When I worked for Wallace Arnold in the 1960s we used to take the ROC one evening a week to practice their duties underground.Just a thought - could that bunker have been a more suitable replacement for the one you mention ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

You're right, Parksider. There is another thread - type Billing Hill into the search facility. Incidentally, billing is apparently Old English for hill.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I have a photo of the one at Yeadon Blakey mentionshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/339277 ... hotostream(ROC Group HQ No18 was stationed opposite the Avro factory.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Si

Post by Si »

Here's a 3.7" AA gun, presumably similar to the ones used at Billing and the Chevin, although they would have had a more permanent mount (no wheels!)Although of similar calibre and appearance to the infamous German "88", it was never used in the anti-tank role - us Brits probably thought it was rather unsporting!    
Attachments
__TFMF_ok3sysj1qajkdm3vxijz0c55_70787a08-05b3-4b51-a958-5529590a404a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ok3sysj1qajkdm3vxijz0c55_70787a08-05b3-4b51-a958-5529590a404a_0_main.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I have a photo of the one at Yeadon Blakey mentionshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/339277 ... hotostream(ROC Group HQ No18 was stationed opposite the Avro factory.     Chilling Phill for me to see it like this - I've been down more than once when the facility was "live."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

Yorkshire water sold a building off last year which sounds like it.The building was for a pumping station for the long gone water works or something like that.Remember reading the auction details for the sale of a bit of land and the small building containing pumping equiptment, pipes etc...Maybe same place.The auction was by eddisons if that helpsMaybe its the same building.

simong

Post by simong »

There are the ROC buildings and the gun emplacement platform on the Billing. There was another emplacement on Baildon Moor and another on the Chevin near East Carlton to protect the northern approaches to Leeds and Bradford and the AVRO factory.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

simong wrote: There are the ROC buildings and the gun emplacement platform on the Billing. There was another emplacement on Baildon Moor and another on the Chevin near East Carlton to protect the northern approaches to Leeds and Bradford and the AVRO factory. Wonder if they were ever fired ???? ( in anger,test or otherwise).
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

BLAKEY wrote: I just wonder if there is any connection between that building (which I've never seen or noticed) and the Royal Observer Corps underground reporting bumker which was on the other side of Harrogate Road in the industrial estate opposite the AVRO factory. When I worked for Wallace Arnold in the 1960s we used to take the ROC one evening a week to practice their duties underground.Just a thought - could that bunker have been a more suitable replacement for the one you mention ?? Thank you Phil for the piccy and Blakey - where was the exact location of the AVRO harrogate Rd bunker I'd love to go see that one....