Horsforth, An Island???

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
simonm

Post by simonm »

Scandy Bramley wrote: simonm wrote: Bloody hell, it's a bit tenuous to sugest that Horsforth was an island.. Mind you, stretch the limits of feasability to the breaking point and I suppose anywhere could be considered an island!! lol I wish armlah was an island - with all the rain lately, it might have been flooded, ne'er to be seen again! :-))) I wish it were an island as well, stop all those bloody theiving Bramley'ites causing trouble in the "nicer" area's.. Lol :-)))
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

I think Rangieowner ,(Namedropper!),meant 'Can't leave 'Ossfuthwithout 'passing' water! (Depends which pub you come out ofand the Brewery end product!)Arry Awk!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

'Ossfuff is bordered on three sides by :- the Aire to the south, Mosley Beck to the east and Red Beck to the west. Both becks source to the north of Ossfuff! As far as i can tell the only way out of Ossfuff is over the golf course avoiding the small stream that runs to Red Beck and the stream that runs thru the former reservoirs to Mosley Beck! any one do better???? consider the gauntlet thrown!!!!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

arry awk wrote: I think Rangieowner ,(Namedropper!),meant 'Can't leave 'Ossfuthwithout 'passing' water! (Depends which pub you come out ofand the Brewery end product!)Arry Awk! some damn good boozers in Ossfuff (correct phonetic spelling) well there used to be when i lived there
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Well! no one has taken up that particular gauntlet! so i've bettered myself with the knowledge that NO you CAN'T leave Ossfuff without crossing water!!!!!!!!!!! River Aire to south, Mosley beck/Oil Mill beck to the east Red beck/Gill beck to the west and Scotland beck to the north which sources at the same point as Red beck/Gill beck and runs east across the golf course helping form the Horsforth Waterworks reservoirs bordering the south east of the airport before joining with Mosley beck/Oil Mill beck according to an old map dated 1851 www.oldmaps.co.uk (sorry i'm too thick to work out how add a link)
Love a Landrover

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

could be an island,new road side has the beck running under it,so does juntion near the bridge pub,pollard/newly lane has river aire,low lane, there a beck ther,bottom of bridgewood close.so from kirkstall you go over water,from tinshill over water.same for hawksworth.im not sure if anythigs near old ball r/bout,or coming from rawdon,towards horsforth roundabout.there is an old sign when horsforth was hudc,was its own council,its a white horse.and looking back in historty,was called horsford.ford is water.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

bramley13 wrote: .im not sure if anythigs near old ball r/bout,or coming from rawdon,towards horsforth roundabout.. go past old ball on brownberrie lane past the college and past the end of bayton lane, as you pass the farm on your right hand side you drop into a dip..... Red Beck!! runs down under rawdon road too, although technically outside horsforth but what's 50 yds between friends
Love a Landrover

bramley13

Post by bramley13 »

so that covers it all horsforth is an island

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The roads out all cross water unless you go up scotland lane and turn left up to Yeadon past the airport.In any case by foot you can walk out of horsforth without crossing a beck.Not an island, so that's mucked that up.But great pubs!!! Fox, Queens, Fleece and Town Street Tavern!!!Still has a small town large village feel to it.Whatever the beurocrats put on paper about it, it will remain Horsforth and not Leeds.Let the town hall numpties have their way and Wevverby will be a suburb....Stand fast I say!!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

The Parksider wrote: The roads out all cross water unless you go up scotland lane and turn left up to Yeadon past the airport.In any case by foot you can walk out of horsforth without crossing a beck.Not an island, so that's mucked that up.But great pubs!!! Fox, Queens, Fleece and Town Street Tavern!!!Still has a small town large village feel to it.Whatever the beurocrats put on paper about it, it will remain Horsforth and not Leeds.Let the town hall numpties have their way and Wevverby will be a suburb....Stand fast I say!! by the time you reach the airport road you have already crossed a stream that runs out of the old reservoirs! I refer you to my earlier post! 15th post on this thread!
Love a Landrover