Network rail archive

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Yes that's what I was wondering myself Tasa. The only question would be is where was that Kings Mill stone kept all those years if it was only recently placed into the river bank? And why was it saved if I'm right in thinking it was demolished way back in 1913?     I think the area was cleared and the goits filled in about 1903. Was it placed there then?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Here's my pics of the goit arches on the east of Neville Street.http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... Light=1the one with the three strip lights shows the bricked up arch of what I believe to be the goit underneath neville street. This is just to the south of the pile that holds up city house.I'm sure that the goit was rebuilt with city station and that Neville street is also built up to go over it.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Tasa wrote: That's right - my guess is that if you walked into some of those car park arches to the right as you walk from Neville Street to Granary Wharf, there should be openings (even if bricked up) in the walls to show where the rails went through. Those arches would be great to photograph as they were wouldn't they? I love the sound of lamp rooms, artillery and gun carriage store, and beer and wine cask stores.I have visions of a one legged character like this hobbling about the place in days of old (without the Swedish accent though)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFgnT8IkcoWhat a crack pot      Phil, The arches where the cars park, on the North side of the drive to granary wharfe does have interconnected arches. Next time I have the unfotunate need to park there I will try to get some pics.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: And the mystery map. I have to admit I can't work this one out If it is any kind of tracks they seem to start and end rather abruptly. I see the scale on the original drawing of that map is an impressive 33ft to an inch!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

After studying this map, I have thought of a possible solution to the purpose and method of operation of the mystery railway. Looking at the point on the west side of the river where the track crosses (presumably on a bridge of some sort) there is a double box shaped feature in the configuration of the wall construction. This could well have been some sort of wagon hoist. Such appliances were frequently provided in the relevant period for access to low-level yards and sites, as at Wellington Street yard.    

jim

Post by jim »

O0ps! After another study, it's back to the drawing board (or in this case the map).The sectional drawing at the bottom of the sheet clearly shows a descending ramp, and describes it as 1 in 11. As, this starts at main track level on top of the arches and ends at "ground" level where it reaches the side of the river, my hoist theory is blown out of the water, so to speak.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Tasa wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Ha ha. I've just realised you can drive under the arches on Google Street view If anyone is interested there is an old railway sign on this gate here that must be a 100 years or more old.http://g.co/maps/wx7vwI think Tasa knows about this one too If I recall correctly it was about fire under the arches, no doubt it would have been fiitted after the dark arch fire of 1892. Yes, I have a photo of it at home - I'll try and find it and upload it this evening. I can't remember exactly what it says but it does mention the Joint Railway so that will help date it.     And here it is.The text isn't very clear on the photo (also attached in a larger size) but it reads:LNER & LMSRailway(s) - [not sure about the "s" but would make sense for centring]--------------------Leeds Joint Station--------------------In case of FIRE applyfor KEYS at PARCELOFFICEI like the thought of someone discovering a fire, then going to the parcel office to "apply" for a key!
Attachments
__TFMF_b04aeieiwml42zmh2xyrz4iz_fa228500-7709-4d94-83d7-f1cdb8f5e911_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_b04aeieiwml42zmh2xyrz4iz_fa228500-7709-4d94-83d7-f1cdb8f5e911_0_main.jpg (461.56 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Went for a stroll down the river at lunch, and there it was the Kings Mill Stone.It would have been a better pic but I only had my phone and couldnt zoom in that close.The irony of it is that I sat in the canteen above this stone and never knew it was there for quite a number of years. Its not visible from any path and during summer months will be unseen due to foilage on the trees.So here it is ........................
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Great stuff with the last two photos Tasa and Buffalo! I have to say that Kings Mill stone looks pretty old to me, there doesn't appear to be one clean cut line on it.     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is all fascinating reading. The second photo in Phill's post today at 08:53:06 remined me of this thread of mine posted on December 14 2011. http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... dID=3540In view of its postion I wonder if that small building could be hiding any signs of old structure?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.