Network rail archive

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Team stealth has been on the case and doing a bit of digging There is this interesting looking circular hole in the top of one of the arches. I doubt you'd have worked out what it was if it wasn't for the superb map recently uploaded. This area is just off Sandford Street near Cowbrough's storage arch.On closer inspection of the map it reveals that a circular lift was here in the lamp room at one time. I don't think it would have been a lift as we know it, more likely a rope worked hoist perhaps. The circular structure in the next arch marked as 'Foot warmers' isn't indicated, but it looks to me like it was a circular staircase? anymore ideas what it could be?A bigger map to get your bearings of the location.And where it all is in relation to the 'possible' mystery tramway.             Tut tut,naughty boy
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Kings Millhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... ht=1Leodis has quite a bit of info abou this area and its clearance and filling in the goits. For some reason 1903 sticks in my head.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It certainly looks very old to me. and the brickwork around it is old too. In fact it looks a bodge job and not brickwork you would see if it had been placed there during recent renovation of the area. I'm wondering if that stone and brickwork was done when the mill was knocked down in 1913. It would be good to get a date when the goit was finally taken out of use and filled in. It's a shame the vegetation is hiding it too, lets hope someone from the Council reads up on S.L and the necessary gets done!     Phil its an hotchpot of brick and stonework all the way along from this area up to the old mill.Build up from the old wharves is easy to see, and you can almost guess where the original goit came out from Have a look at this just slightly higher up
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

See post above with drainage plan.

liits

Post by liits »

Well, that was a couple of hours to no avail.I’ve not been able to overlay the red plan onto Google earth. As with the black plan, it just doesn’t fit. Even by distorting the [red] plan in an attempt to make it fit, it still doesn’t work. Using Bishopsgate street [the Scabby Taps and Neville Street] as the reference points at the eastern end and the canal at the western end, when its long enough, its toooooo wide and when its wide enough its tooooo long.I’ve now come to the conclusion that it is a schematic, and not actually a scaled architectural plan.Tasa, drop me an email and I explain how the overlays are done. No great secret, just Photoshop ot the like.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Kings Mill Can anyone guide me on where in 'Leeds Now'.
Attachments
__TFMF_0he5i2bxl5k4fq55etlaqcym_8390fb3c-029e-4ddf-97f4-a8d588e755e1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0he5i2bxl5k4fq55etlaqcym_8390fb3c-029e-4ddf-97f4-a8d588e755e1_0_main.jpg (274.86 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: Well, that was a couple of hours to no avail.I’ve not been able to overlay the red plan onto Google earth. As with the black plan, it just doesn’t fit. Even by distorting the [red] plan in an attempt to make it fit, it still doesn’t work. Using Bishopsgate street [the Scabby Taps and Neville Street] as the reference points at the eastern end and the canal at the western end, when its long enough, its toooooo wide and when its wide enough its tooooo long.I’ve now come to the conclusion that it is a schematic, and not actually a scaled architectural plan.Tasa, drop me an email and I explain how the overlays are done. No great secret, just Photoshop ot the like. I'm sure you've noticed, the drawings do have a scale on them (30 ft/inch and 1 chain [66 ft]/ft) which suggests they should match the structure, so not sure what's happening there. clearly something's adrift.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Jogon wrote: Kings Mill Can anyone guide me on where in 'Leeds Now'. Where Bibi's restaurant and multistorey carpark are on Swinegate. In modern terms you're standing on Swinegate looking sout West-ish, with the goit flowing out of the car park in the wide arch on your right - see other threads linked to above.

liits

Post by liits »

chameleon wrote: I'm sure you've noticed, the drawings do have a scale on them (30 ft/inch and 1 chain [66 ft]/ft) which suggests they should match the structure, so not sure what's happening there. clearly something's adrift. I saw that but I'm still not convinced. The only other thing I could think of was that in being copied for the web, the drawing had been distorted. If that were the case, I would be able to distort it back, but it just doesn't work. The black plans, they click into place straight away.Puzzle!

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Cardiarms wrote: Where Bibi's restaurant and multistorey carpark are on Swinegate. In modern terms you're standing on Swinegate looking sout West-ish, with the goit flowing out of the car park in the wide arch on your right - see other threads linked to above. Is that the large arch that is the enterance to a car par in the arches Cardi ? the one literally next door to Bibi's and if so was the tram depot / Queens hall built on part of the Kings mill sight ?