Network rail archive

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Think I managed to get that overlay done, due to the poor quality of the maps it isnt brilliant.and the otherif you want them bigger let me know
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

BIG N Heres Kings Mill in 1891 right under Bibi's. Yes it was under the Queens Hall but that bit used to be offices and the old Chest Clinic along the edge, but a large part of the Mill will have been under the Queens Hall tram shed

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's superb work buffaloskinner.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

liits

Post by liits »

Brilliant. But, I hate to be one of those things that starts with a C but the red one still doesn't fit.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Thanks people for the mapwork + overlays v. helpful. Fascinating stuff.Often thought I'd have liked 1930's Leeds with new Lewis's etc but the Isle of Cinder has now captured my imagination. http://tinyurl.com/6qtozrxCan feel a book purchase coming on.    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Jogon wrote: Often thought I'd have liked 1930's Leeds with new Lewis's etc but the Isle of Cinder has now captured my imagination. Hey Jogon there are some amazing names when you look about the old maps, think we may need a thread called "Why was this called ????"I mean why do I live in what was called Nova Scotia

liits

Post by liits »

This is now starting to bug me [hence, I’m doing it at this time on a Friday night].I’m still not convinced that the red plans are anything other than a schematic. I’ve overlain the red plans onto the Godfrey 1847-63 map and found.....At the western side, if the plan is aligned with the canal basin and waterloo swimming pool [while keeping the same constraints] it will not match up with the location of the Queens Hotel at the eastern side.Like-wise, at the eastern side, if the red plan is aligned with Sandford Street and Little Neville Street, at the western side, everything is way off. This isn’t conclusive as the new build on top of demolished streets may well not have followed the exact alignment.Third try: by aligning the railway tracks [not the most accurate thing but worth a go]. Aligning on the railway tracks means everything else is out of alignment and comes nowhere near.If anything, I would suggest that this schematic [not plan] was drawn not from measurements taken on the ground, but from measurements taken from another drawing.Or a very large version here http://tinyurl.com/6w85u3e

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

BIG N wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Where Bibi's restaurant and multistorey carpark are on Swinegate. In modern terms you're standing on Swinegate looking sout West-ish, with the goit flowing out of the car park in the wide arch on your right - see other threads linked to above. Is that the large arch that is the enterance to a car par in the arches Cardi ? the one literally next door to Bibi's and if so was the tram depot / Queens hall built on part of the Kings mill site ?     That's right    

jim

Post by jim »

I am still searching amongst my book collection for a couple of particular contemporary references to the first 1869 New Station, but so far without success. I am also trying to make sense of two early plans which have relevance, with little progress.However:-From the Leeds Mercury, taken from the edition printed on 18 July, 1868 (ie, while the station was still under construction) ".........At the back of the station provision has been made for two lines of rails for goods trains, and for an incline by which trucks will descend to the vast storage ground afforded by the station arches, and receive the goods intended for conveyance on the line. ........"I think it safe to conclude that this refers to Phills mystery rail/tramway inferred by the red plan, and reveals its purpose and method of working.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I was right!Not often that happens.