knocked down by a tram

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've taken this 1908 map from the Old-Maps UK website. The broken lines on Lidget Hill probably mark the tram route and show a definite sharp bend. The tram route is seen even clearer in the 1921 map that I shall post next.    
Attachments
__TFMF_5b3wu4mfyagjny45a5zdhdfk_4b2bdf40-d301-401e-98c6-d43362c488c4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5b3wu4mfyagjny45a5zdhdfk_4b2bdf40-d301-401e-98c6-d43362c488c4_0_main.jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the 1921 map that even clearer shows the sharp bend on what I think must be the tram lines.    
Attachments
__TFMF_5b3wu4mfyagjny45a5zdhdfk_266d0872-2f75-4b9d-a6a0-e117d55495f8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5b3wu4mfyagjny45a5zdhdfk_266d0872-2f75-4b9d-a6a0-e117d55495f8_0_main.jpg (110.17 KiB) Viewed 4402 times

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Leodian,I think the broken lines are a ward boundary. The trams must have come to Pudsey some time between 1908 and 1921. The tramlines are clearly marked on the later map. In days gone by, that bend was known as Druggist's Corner. It's interesting to see just how far the derailed tram travelled before hitting the row of shops in Lowtown. Good job really - it would have been going at a hell of a speed by the time it hit The Victoria pub at the bottom! Incidentally, the town hall is marked as "Institute" on the earlier map - it's original function being a Mechanics' Institute.        

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that Si.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: Hi Jim,Do you know exactly where these shops were? I know Pudsey fairly well, but they don't look familiar. I assume they have since been demolished, and I can't find any more images of them on Leodis or Google Images. They're definitely still there Si - as the mystery was gnawing away at me I drove up there this afternoon and the bank on the corner of Lidgett Hill and Church Lane is still there, attached to the shops shown in the picture of the crash.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

BLAKEY wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: here is a tram accident circa 1912, not sure where but its on its way to the Corn Exchange.Its also outside of a Maypole store, omg I used to love their cheese counter. So did I, and the huge butter "cubes" and the bacon on the Berkel slicing machine - pity we had to share our delight with all the flies and wasps !! There's also a Taylor's Drug store behind the tram, and another "cash grocer" on the left. If I see this picture in any of the many books on the subject I'll try to identify the interesting location.     Hey Blakey I dont recall the flies and wasps making us ill though. We ate anything in those days. Gallons was my favourite grocer, there was one at the bottom of my street on Selby Road.Glad we have identified the location of the accident
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

buffaloskinner wrote: Hey Blakey I dont recall the flies and wasps making us ill though. We ate anything in those days. Gallons was my favourite grocer, there was one at the bottom of my street on Selby Road. Hi buffaloskinner - perhaps the victims didn't live long enough to register complaints !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: Hi Jim,Do you know exactly where these shops were? I know Pudsey fairly well, but they don't look familiar. I assume they have since been demolished, and I can't find any more images of them on Leodis or Google Images. They're definitely still there Si - as the mystery was gnawing away at me I drove up there this afternoon and the bank on the corner of Lidgett Hill and Church Lane is still there, attached to the shops shown in the picture of the crash. So I see from Liits' picture, Blakey. Like many old shop fronts, they've been extensively altered though, and with some new first floor window surrounds.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Anyone know who was the first person to be be killed by a tram in Leeds ?And for that matterKilled by a trainKilled by a carJust curious - recall on my DVD of the trams of Leeds people at the turn of the 1900's appeared to "jaywalk" across the roads unaware of the danger.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Manchester Evening NewsPage 4 AdvertisementManchester Evening NewsMon 13 Nov 1871Greater Manchester, EnglandThe driver of a Leeds tramway car fell oil his vehicle on Saturday evening and was killed, the wheels passing107 Words    “ of a Leeds tramway car fell oil his vehicle on Saturday evening and was killed, the wheels passing over his head. Leeds TimesPage 5 ArticleLeeds TimesSat 11 Jul 1891West Yorkshire, EnglandA LITTLE GIRL KILLED ON THE TRAM LINES AT LEEDS423 Words    “ GIRL KILLED ON THE TRAM LINES AT LEEDS. The Leeds Coroner, Mr. Malcolm, held mil Monday, at the Town Hall, an inquiry into the I death of Jessie Forrester, Aged 5Copied from British Newspaper Archive