knocked down by a tram

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I'm sure it said tram too lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

liits

Post by liits »

jim wrote: I think the gentleman referred to as the one-legged chairman of the Transport Committee was Councillor or Alderman Rafferty, not an officer of the Transport Department.I remember an elderly railway worker of my acquaintance i the 1950s would become apoplectic with rage whenever his name was mentioned! Rafferty was notorious for his hatred of trams and the tramway system. I don't think anyone worked harder for their abolition.Can't think why. Well, I stand corrected. In looking for info about Cllr Rafferty, it turns out he did lose a leg although I’m still not sure about how. I also discovered that his daughter, Barbara, married Stan Cohen – youngest ever Leeds Councillor and later an MP.Like Jim’s colleague, my mother would become agitated at the mention of Mr Cohen’s name [and Harold Wilson, Arthur Scargill etc, too] none of her comments printable here.While she never met Wilson, she knew Stan and his wife well.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It says tram again
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It says tram again I think someones taken the P

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

uncle mick wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: It says tram again I think someones taken the P Rather more than that I think - and this isn't the only thread being illicitly manipulated.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

chameleon wrote: uncle mick wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: It says tram again I think someones taken the P Rather more than that I think - and this isn't the only thread being illicitly manipulated. What else is happening ???
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes what's afoot, do tell

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

here is a tram accident circa 1912, not sure where but its on its way to the Corn Exchange.Its also outside of a Maypole store, omg I used to love their cheese counter.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

buffaloskinner wrote: here is a tram accident circa 1912, not sure where but its on its way to the Corn Exchange.Its also outside of a Maypole store, omg I used to love their cheese counter. So did I, and the huge butter "cubes" and the bacon on the Berkel slicing machine - pity we had to share our delight with all the flies and wasps !! There's also a Taylor's Drug store behind the tram, and another "cash grocer" on the left. If I see this picture in any of the many books on the subject I'll try to identify the interesting location.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: here is a tram accident circa 1912, not sure where but its on its way to the Corn Exchange.Its also outside of a Maypole store, omg I used to love their cheese counter. So did I, and the huge butter "cubes" and the bacon on the Berkel slicing machine - pity we had to share our delight with all the flies and wasps !! There's also a Taylor's Drug store behind the tram, and another "cash grocer" on the left. If I see this picture in any of the many books on the subject I'll try to identify the interesting location.     I have been looking through Kelly's Directories etc and I can't find a Maypole next door but one to a Taylor's Drug Store.I can find several instances of both firms on the same street.Town Street Armley, Beeston Road, Tong Road,Hunslet Road.It should be illegal to post pics like this, I can't rest