Secret Cycling

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Chrism, maybe he was lonely?        

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I had to phone the Waterways and they sent me one, also you used to be able to pick them up from the lock-keeper at Bramly Fall.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

wiggydiggy wrote of scotland wood/meanwood:-"Thats a good route that, if a little busy due to peds in places but seeing as technically its not a cycleway (but is used as one) then its a good run if you dont mind sharing the path. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meanwood_Valley_TrailIf anyone wants a longer route, starting still at Woodhouse you follow the route as far as King Lane then instead of going left to GA Park go straight across and follow the route to Eccup Reservoir. Go around the water anti-clockwise then you can follow another route (Leed country Way) north past the Emmerdale set and eventually into the grounds of harewood house.I havent been further than that as I normally turn and follow Harrogate Road onto Meanwood Road back to start"-------------------Possible to Meanwood Trail into Leeds then Transpennine to Temple Newsam, Wykebeck back to King Ln.Just been knocked off s'morning so not in saddle for a bit.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

You say Jogon that you've "Just been knocked off s'morning so not in saddle for a bit". I hope you are OK and can soon resume cycling around.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

leo that's kind.Traffic police when you need 'em- lovely. Ambulance patched me up, said it'll hurt more t'moro. I'll be hopping aroud in a week.Steve Woodrupp (bike shop) deserves praise for 'making' me buy a properly fitting, slightly more expensive helmet. It is now shattered but priceless.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Jogon wrote: leo that's kind.Traffic police when you need 'em- lovely. Ambulance patched me up, said it'll hurt more t'moro. I'll be hopping aroud in a week.Steve Woodrupp (bike shop) deserves praise for 'making' me buy a properly fitting, slightly more expensive helmet. It is now shattered but priceless.     Sorry to hear thais Jogon, really hurts dun'it when that happens. Not been on my bike for a along time but remember what its like. Was agoing to say take care but.... well you know what I mean    

beast

Post by beast »

Chrism wrote: I had to phone the Waterways and they sent me one, also you used to be able to pick them up from the lock-keeper at Bramly Fall. I got one a few year ago when we cycled from Liverpool to Leeds .One of my favourite routes at the moment is the Trans Pennine trail stretch from the Royal Armouries through to Castleford via Woodlesford and Allerton Bywater. Plenty of interesting things on the way, Thwaite Mills, the bird hide near Fleet Bridge,Lemonroyd Marina, a quick pint at the Boat at Allerton Bywater and plenty of bird spotting too

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

beastL'pool>Leeds, cycled. Is that mainly/all following tha canal exc tunnels, how long does that take?Often do Lawnswood>Leeds Centre or Salts Mill, never gone further.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Jogon wrote: wiggydiggy wrote of scotland wood/meanwood:-"Thats a good route that, if a little busy due to peds in places but seeing as technically its not a cycleway (but is used as one) then its a good run if you dont mind sharing the path. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meanwood_Valley_TrailIf anyone wants a longer route, starting still at Woodhouse you follow the route as far as King Lane then instead of going left to GA Park go straight across and follow the route to Eccup Reservoir. Go around the water anti-clockwise then you can follow another route (Leed country Way) north past the Emmerdale set and eventually into the grounds of harewood house.I havent been further than that as I normally turn and follow Harrogate Road onto Meanwood Road back to start"-------------------Possible to Meanwood Trail into Leeds then Transpennine to Temple Newsam, Wykebeck back to King Ln.Just been knocked off s'morning so not in saddle for a bit.     Sorry to hear your knocked off, hope your okThe route I meant actually goes to the left of this Alwoodley-Leeds route, mine goes through Scotland Wood and Adel Woods (why is one Wood and the other Woods BTW!) but this route isnt as good for commuting but its a good sight seeing jaunt though! Leodian wrote: I live near by and rarely see cyclists using the cycle lane next to the Buckstones on King Lane. I often though see them on King Lane where they create a risk to themselves and sometimes problems for cars. I don't have nor use a car but I am not writing this as an anti-cyclist.You are clearly a careful cyclist Jogon but that is not the case with some, particularly in the centre of Leeds with those who ride fast weaving in and out by people in the pedestrianised areas. I wonder what is the law regarding cycling in such areas? Oh dear, if you mean either of these then there is no good reason for a cyclist on King Lane to use it. Its been built not for the convenience of cyclists, but at the convenience of traffic to shift the 'cyclist creating problems for cars' (your words) out of the way. BTW at the ends of them how do you rejoin the carriageway safely?http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=king+la ... t=h&z=18If the council was serious about it why not extend that facility so instead of it being barely 1/4 mile long it goes from say Adel Brow to Moortown Baptist church? beast wrote: Chrism wrote: I had to phone the Waterways and they sent me one, also you used to be able to pick them up from the lock-keeper at Bramly Fall. I got one a few year ago when we cycled from Liverpool to Leeds .One of my favourite routes at the moment is the Trans Pennine trail stretch from the Royal Armouries through to Castleford via Woodlesford and Allerton Bywater. Plenty of interesting things on the way, Thwaite Mills, the bird hide near Fleet Bridge,Lemonroyd Marina, a quick pint at the Boat at Allerton Bywater and plenty of bird spotting too Thats a great route, its one of my favourites too, you can if you want either swing south at Castleford and follow the Aire/Calder south to Ferrybridge then swing north on the TPT back to er the Aire/Calder by Lemonroyd Marina.Alternatively from Allerton Bywater head north on 'The Lines' to Garforth, then use Barrowby Lane to go West to Temple Newsam. Head through the park and emerge back on the Aire and Calder. If you use Sustrans you can see the routes I mean.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Jogon wrote: beastL'pool>Leeds, cycled. Is that mainly/all following tha canal exc tunnels, how long does that take?Often do Lawnswood>Leeds Centre or Salts Mill, never gone further. We've done the L-L bike ride. Took us 4 days, we had 1 days rest halfway. Small backpack, one man tent and as few clothes as possible. Money for food/booze and off ye go. One bloke has done it there and back in 22 hours 38 mins. We got the train to Liverpool in the morning and set off back straight away. It's pretty easy.http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/llc/canal ... guide.html
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.