Secret Cycling

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Alwoodley-Leeds Cycle Routehttp://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2007/201 ... 0hr.pdfNot yet tried this, anyone ?Will need to compare my map to pdf. Part of it usefully goes by Meanwood Urban Farm with cafe

jim

Post by jim »

I am delighted to see that the Alwoodley-Leeds Cycle Route leaflet reproduction carries the following statement:-"Some of the route is on roads. Cyclists should only use pavements when there are signs showing it is shared use."The statement is accompanied by a picture of the appropriate shared use sign.I was beginning to think that the previous legal requirement for cyclists not to use roadside pavements and footpaths unless a specific length was declared for dual purpose had gone by the board, and hope that this statement will remind two wheel users of the law. Whilst I recognise that road traffic has risen to a level that causes real problems for cyclists, I object to those difficulties being resolved by many bike riders choosing to pass the problems on to pedestrians.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jimsounds like you've had bad experience? I ride a bike (you should?).I'm a pedestrian (never earphones and/or texting)And a motorist.As a pedestrian I know how quiet a bike's approach from the rear can be, this helps a cyclist. Ring a bell, 'sing a song' shout hello.As a cyclist on the towpath I've come slowly & carefully to narrowed blind bits by bridges, rung bell etc. Good job 'cos the joggers & dog walkers didn't.As a motorist the driving test ought to include 30 mins on bike in traffic. Bikes are road users too. Inevitably there are snarling lycra warriors who'll accellerate to conflict if a car ahead is signalling to cross, left, "their" cycle lane.Small country, go to get on.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I live near by and rarely see cyclists using the cycle lane next to the Buckstones on King Lane. I often though see them on King Lane where they create a risk to themselves and sometimes problems for cars. I don't have nor use a car but I am not writing this as an anti-cyclist.You are clearly a careful cyclist Jogon but that is not the case with some, particularly in the centre of Leeds with those who ride fast weaving in and out by people in the pedestrianised areas. I wonder what is the law regarding cycling in such areas?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

leoCycling 'in town' is a real joy - freedom is amazing - freewheel down to WH Smiths and park outside. Spot of lunch in the Markets then through the dark arches and up to Kirkstall on the canal towpath. And privilege, so in pedestrianised (clue in name) areas I go slow. A child can run out, a chap change direction etc. So conserve energy and no fast weaving.But bike theft should = death penalty.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Jogon. I believe that cycling is permitted in the Central Leeds pedestrian precinct, on roadside footpaths where there is the "shared use" sign, and on canal towpaths. In all cases, cyclists should accept pedestrians right to be there, and not overspeed or try to "muscle" those that footpaths were intended for out of the way. If neccesary speeds should not exceed walking pace.As far as road side footpaths not bearing the "shared use" sign are concerned it is still specifically against the law for cyclists other than small children (ie those using three wheelers or outriggered kiddy cycles) to use them. It is also still against the law for cyclists to disobey traffic signals, one way signs and any other road signs whilst riding their vehicle.These regulations are all intended to protect road users and pedestrians from harm, and that includes cyclists themselves. I rode both pedal cycles and motor bikes for many years, and would not have deliberately broken the law whilst doing so. It appears that large numbers of users have fallen into an attitude of "it doesn't matter", but to many onlookers this seems to be a selfish and dangerous attitude. EDIT: Missed one! Riding during the hours of darkness without lights and reflectors required by law.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I wish i had a pound for every person on a bike who i have seen go through the lights when red was against them. I know you should not tar every one with the same brush but some seem to think the lights have nothing to do with them.At the same time you get the car driver creeping forward ready for the off as soon has the lights change bring back the horse and cart thats what i say He. He Come to think of it i have seen horse riders on the road after lighting up time how stupid can you get?    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sadly this thread is veering off course.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

When I last came in on the bike, from Alwoodley it was along King Lane, Stonegate Road and Meanwood Road down to Sheepscar. The interchange is a bit of a mess, the cycle route has you going off at a tangent, then down North Street, Vicar Lane, Headrow and Park Row. Not too busy on a Sunday afternoon.I had come over from Eccup way from "off the map" so to speak.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jim wrote: Hi Jogon. I believe that cycling is permitted in the Central Leeds pedestrian precinct, on roadside footpaths where there is the "shared use" sign, and on canal towpaths. In all cases, cyclists should accept pedestrians right to be there, and not overspeed or try to "muscle" those that footpaths were intended for out of the way. If neccesary speeds should not exceed walking pace.As far as road side footpaths not bearing the "shared use" sign are concerned it is still specifically against the law for cyclists other than small children (ie those using three wheelers or outriggered kiddy cycles) to use them. It is also still against the law for cyclists to disobey traffic signals, one way signs and any other road signs whilst riding their vehicle.These regulations are all intended to protect road users and pedestrians from harm, and that includes cyclists themselves. I rode both pedal cycles and motor bikes for many years, and would not have deliberately broken the law whilst doing so. It appears that large numbers of users have fallen into an attitude of "it doesn't matter", but to many onlookers this seems to be a selfish and dangerous attitude. EDIT: Missed one! Riding during the hours of darkness without lights and reflectors required by law. A few years ago you used to need to have a certified badge from The British Waterways (they were free) to cycle 'legally' on the tow-paths. I think they've stopped it now, but I remember getting stopped by an over zealous bailiff near the Bramley marina. He stood facing me arms and legs spread so I couldn't pass. He did explain who he was and showed his ID, he then explained about the pass and really he should make me walk my bike back to town as I didn't have one, that stretch was clear of pedestrians and I'd got a bit of speed up. God know's what would have happened if I'd hit him.Edited:- Apparently you still do need a permit see here > http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.