Secret Cycling

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bicyclism, a project about the people of Leeds and cycling that will lead to an exhibition at Leeds Museum 24th June to 7th July 2014.Leeds folk are encouraged to submit their photoshttp://www.bicyclism.co.uk/You can visit the online gallery -here's Kirkstall Middle School 1956 It's fairly new so not many up yet.        
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (0 Bytes) Viewed 1138 times

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

I used to work in Leeds (1986 - 1997), for a large photographic printing company on Crown PointI commuted by bike for most of that time, from Stanley.The only really worrisome section of the trip, & it still is, if I pass through Leeds, is between the end of Wood Lane ('Jaw Bones') & the railway bridge at StourtonComing into Leeds is bad enough, with traffic on the slip-road off the M621 on your near-side, & the 'odd' priority at the roundaboutHowever, when I used to finish at 18:00, & come home that way, it could be scary at times, wanting the central lane to come up Bell HillTraffic to the right, in the wrong lane, wanting the Castleford/Oulton road, & traffic in that lane, wanting the M621 I've had a few near misses on there........ all my fault allegedly, as I was on a bikeThen, before the traffic lights were installed at Wood Lane, I've had to turn with a few cars, as they've 'left hooked me' Had quite a few arguments (& almost fights) there too, as I've thumped cars, as they've taken me with them.I've worked at a large Hospital, in the Wakefield area, since then, & see no end of casualties, who have come off worseSome are sensible riders, wearing decent gear/helmets/well maintained bikes, who have just been unlucky, & had the 'SMIDSY' fairy come to visit themOthers get zero sympathy (from me); no lights, black clothing, hoodie up, headphones in, barely working brakes, no reflectors.Helmet???? - no way!No sense!Sadly, it's the Ambulance crews that I know, who have to go & scrape them off the roadThe Doctors/Nurses, I work with, who have to save their livesPolice Officers I now, via work, that have to perform 'the knock' & inform familiesSorry folks, rant switched off now!!!!From a personal point of view; I have lights, reflectors, stop at traffic-lights, etc...Wear a helmet (not a legal requirement, but good sense), have 3rd party insurance (which will also claim on my behalf, if I'm not at fault)

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

My message didnt post yesterday it seems.....I'll definitely check out the Bicyclism project, and can ask some of my friends if they have anything to contribute.