The 'road' from Adel Willows

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Does anyone know the history of this 'road'?There are two visible ends and I've often walked it. In doing so it looked far too well constructed to be just a farm track with a good surface and well constructed ditches to either side.The S entrance from the 'new' Otley Rd A660 is on the right past the Lawnswood Arms tho' take note it goes to someone's house so don't.But access it elsewhere and past that. It is visible on Google Satellite, and it finishes at a wall on the bridlepath that goes between The Parkway Hotel / Golden Acre and Adel Dam Reserve.It was at that end that I first noticed it. The wall looked odd, on it's own and out of place & built to close a former road?2 things may be of relevence perhaps:-1. The "Otley Rd" is new rather than "Otley Old Rd" and so perhaps this was it's original route.2. I once read that many (hundreds of?) years ago the Tadcaster Turnpike ie Harewood Avenue, used to run past the Harewood House front door, thence High Weardley Ln and that a deal was done with the owner of Cookridge Hall for some land swap and the road diverted right and down Harewood bank/Pool Rd until it again rejoins Arthington Ln at Rawden Hill. Perhaps this used to (before 1930's Golden Acre & the Quarry) link up to Blackhill Rd.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Jogon.The direct road from Otley to Leeds (Otley Road, the A660) was a turnpike road, built c.1840, to replace what is now Otley Old Road, the idea being to cut out the steep slog up Otley Chevin (now East Chevin Road.) I would therefore guess that your track is an earlier route made redundant by the new turnpike, but I don't know for sure, as it seems to follow a similar path. It's also possible that it is the original route of the turnpike, which was straightened at a later date, perhaps something to do with Golden Acre Park? Edit: The tithe map (dated 1836-1851) shows both roads following the same routes as today. Your track turns sharp right at Golden Acre's dam. It then runs NE before joining King Lane. The A660 is marked "Leeds & Otley Turnpike Road" and can be seen cutting through older existing field boundaries.            

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Access road for the dam construction?

Si

Post by Si »

Cardiarms wrote: Access road for the dam construction? Possibly, but why make it so long?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In your post Jogon you state of the 'road' that "it finishes at a wall on the bridlepath that goes between The Parkway Hotel / Golden Acre and Adel Dam Reserve". Your post has intrigued me as I occasionally go on that bridlepath, which runs from the A660 to Arthington Road and passes between Golden Acre Park and Adel Dam Nature Reserve. Your description of the 'road' indicates that it should be very obvious but I have however never seen any 'road' meeting that bridlepath that fits your description. I accept that I have probably just not been observant when I have walked there. I cannot also however see what would seem to be such an obvious feature meeting the bridlepath in a Google Satellite view.I would be grateful if you could please state precisely where you are able to access the 'road' so that I can at some stage walk on it to reach and/or come away from Golden Acre Park. Thanks.     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo hiTo have a googlemap satellite look at it> Googlemap>search LS16> Kingsley Dr. Zoom in (full screen it by hitting top left little arrow 'hide panel')Cross Otley Rd and the tree lined route diverges north, north east.2/3rds of way along it widens to a small wood, the top right corner of which drains into/is level with Adel Dam lake.It then continues (with a hedge at it's left) to join the bridlepath.SoThe point it used to join (pre-wall) (and where 'the wall' is).Towards the end you will see the path/hedge.To it's right a narrow field which borders Adel Dam Reserve.There is a little bank of woods between it's end and the junction of bridlepath/G.A. Dam outflow/path straight ahead to G.A. lakeside.From recollection there is a recently fallen, cut down big tree.There may be locked gates to hop

Si

Post by Si »

Here's an aerial view to help. The red line shows the track as marked on the mid 1800s tithe map.Click on the red X to view.    
Attachments
__TFMF_pepl5l55sz3zhq45mzuiqd45_6316e6ed-1b09-49d8-a67c-908e623b332d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pepl5l55sz3zhq45mzuiqd45_6316e6ed-1b09-49d8-a67c-908e623b332d_0_main.jpg (211.28 KiB) Viewed 5268 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Jogon and Si. I'm beginning to think I must be the most unobservant around in having never noticed a well constructed track ('road') coming off the bridlepath from the Parkway to Golden Acre Park (GAP). I shall use that 'road' the next time I go to or from GAP, as it will provide (for me) a new circular route. I assume though that it is public right of way.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: Cheers Jogon and Si. I assume though that it is public right of way. You're not unobservant. I became aware of it by mistake years ago when visiting Adel Dam mid 80's (then fenced off and Yorkshire Wildlife etc with the on-stilts field hide).Looking out from it's South Western margin I thought the Otley Rd looked near. Then a chance top deck bus Otley>Leeds showed this area.Not sure about public right of way?If you're 'lost' and "looking for the Bridlepath to Arthington Rd".....

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: Cheers Jogon and Si. I assume though that it is public right of way. You're not unobservant. I became aware of it by mistake years ago when visiting Adel Dam mid 80's (then fenced off and Yorkshire Wildlife etc with the on-stilts field hide).Looking out from it's South Western margin I thought the Otley Rd looked near. Then a chance top deck bus Otley>Leeds showed this area.Not sure about public right of way?If you're 'lost' and "looking for the Bridlepath to Arthington Rd"..... Cheers Jogon. Sounds like a reasonable excuse to me if I ever get asked!