Leeds trolleybus scheme delayed further

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Look at Sheffield - the council sanctioned the impressive tram system, Ponds Forge and the Don Valley Stadium (for the World Student Games), their Arena and loads of other infrastructure.They nearly bankrupted the city as they didn't have the means to pay for them, but they are all still there and they provide world class sporting venues and a much needed mass-transit system across the city. They can't take these things away once they're built can they?So, if Sheffield can do it, with no money, why they hell can't we..?As an example of the difference a 'can do' attitude makes, look at the Civic Hall. One of the finest twentieth century buildings in Leeds and built to give the unemployed work during the depression of the 1930's. Anyone see any parallels?    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Fingers crossed, I hope and I pray this scheme gets kicked well and truly into touch.Funding decision on Leeds trolleybus plan ‘just weeks away’ http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 5695*Leeds North West’s Lib Dem MP Greg Mulholland today said the wait for a decision on the scheme had been “frustrating” for all those involved.He went on: “Leeds still remains the biggest city in Europe without light rail or an underground system*And if Leeds does get fobbed off with this white elephant transport system that offers NOTHING better than what a conventional bus can, especially now they are bringing in these new enviro friendly buses. We will NEVER see any kind of quality transport like light rail or an underground system in this City either. Were stuck with this outdated, and old fashioned transport system forever!!Remember we've already been fobbed off with the misguided busway, and purple slugs. I don't know why we have to settle for these cheap, half baked, and useless schemes. I despair at the City of Leeds at times              Yes Phill,             unfortunately one becomes accustomed to the stick your head in the sand attitude that Leeds adopts at times.It's strategy for integrated transport infrastructure has been abysmal at best.They just haven't a clue.They'd much rather saddle us with a new incinerator in inner city Leeds and endless,new"shopping experiences" that most ordinary Leeds folk can't afford to use,than spend anything on less important matters of clogged up,overcrowded road networks that cost us all many millions in many different ways.You have to seriously question the ongoing culture of inertia that prevails within Civic Hall meeting rooms.There's something seriously rotten in the state of Leeds.Light years behind smaller,go ahead councils up and down the country.    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I for one shall be mightily relieved on the day that all the barmy plans and hype for this ill conceived "three route" mini system are consigned to the Municipal waste paper baskets here, and similar receptacles in Westminster.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Lets see this silly idea binned. Leeds will continue to be an example to rest of Europe of what happens when you don't have any proper public transport.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

BLAKEY wrote: I for one shall be mightily relieved on the day that all the barmy plans and hype for this ill conceived "three route" mini system are consigned to the Municipal waste paper baskets here, and similar receptacles in Westminster. I struggle to get my head round why Leeds council have even considered this, let alone pushed for it. It's a 'nowt nor summat' idea, jack of all trades and master of non. Really it has no benefits of a light rail system, and has all the downfalls of a bus system, it's a complete joke, and so will be this City if it goes ahead!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: BLAKEY wrote: I for one shall be mightily relieved on the day that all the barmy plans and hype for this ill conceived "three route" mini system are consigned to the Municipal waste paper baskets here, and similar receptacles in Westminster. I struggle to get my head round why Leeds council have even considered this, let alone pushed for it. It's a 'nowt nor summat' idea, jack of all trades and master of non. Really it has no benefits of a light rail system, and has all the downfalls of a bus system, it's a complete joke, and so will be this City if it goes ahead! IndeedPhill,                 another hare brained council proposal grasping at straws for anything to silence its critics.......even a scheme as barmy as this.Might just as well buy an all electric fleet of buses than waste money on all the additional infrastructure and support mechanisms.Such is the lack of anything useful in the grand scheme of Leeds City Council's vision for the future.One tends to despair at times I'm afraid.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We might as well get one of these: http://snipurl.com/24605kmThis scheme is one of the very reasons we should have an elected mayor to get a grip of this sort of thing.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The only benefit that this would have is to take polluting vehicles like buses off the road and replace them with an electric system (which will happen one day anyway) so why not a tram system? Trolley buses seem never to have worked wherever they have been installed.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

LS1 wrote: The only benefit that this would have is to take polluting vehicles like buses off the road and replace them with an electric system (which will happen one day anyway) so why not a tram system? Trolley buses seem never to have worked wherever they have been installed. Cost......it's all about the money.Every time Leeds went to Whitehall with the begging bowl and kept being knocked back,they were always asked to return with a cheaper option.

headingleylad

Post by headingleylad »

Leeds is the laughing stock of UK and Europe, when the West Yorkshire Metro was told we could not have Supertram, they should have not accepted this, and fought on like Manchester did, they got what they wanted in the end. Who ever thought up the idea of trolley buses should be sacked, as Phill D says; trolley buses have no advantages over diesel buses. Berne in Switzerland is getting rid of its trolley buses and replacing them with trams, because trolley buses are not suitable for moving large numbers of people. Berne is a city smaller than Leeds with a population of 123000, while Leeds has a population of 715000 nearly six times larger! Leeds is the third largest city in England after London and Birmingham. Leeds deserves better than a trolley bus system, no doubt run by the "Worst Buses Group" who persuaded the Labour Government that Leeds did not require a tram system and that the Purple Slugs were good enough for Leeds.
Lived in Leeds all my life, Cookridge Headingley