New stations

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

What is going to be left of Leeds to visit? It would appear that the M621 is going to disappear under that massive railway terminus! Thankfully it will probably never be built. The projected date is 2032 and with delays and wrangles, the date will slip to 2040 or beyond. And it's a project ripe for cancellation by any incoming government. As for a name of the Railway station, shouldn't it be the Matthew Murray Terminus, as it is going to be near enough!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm surprised ho little demolition there will be. With the exception of the gas holders its mostly post war offices and sheds.If we've got two stations will City Station be called City Station again?

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I got to thinking how things might be in the 20+ years from now before this "brilliant" idea actually becomes reality. By the time everything is finally agreed, built and fully operational it will likely have become obsolete. We'll be back on the the merry-go-round again and looking for other ways to spend billions of £ on hare-brained transport schemes. It might be cheaper to move London up here - or alternatively............ beam me up, Scotty!

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Agree with JDbythesea Dont go holding your breath and getting too excited folks.Grand looking plans and all that but surely they haven't spent enough money yet to decide to scrap it all and install a high speed trolly bus link from the Sheffield terminus up to Leeds using a route that no one lives on and serving places where no one wants to go.Give them time though to think about it - 30 years or so should do it.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

How about adopting this idea for a Leeds Tube system? http://richd.me/2013/01/leeds-tube-map/There's a map at http://www.flickr.com/photos/owlofdoom/8421104250/ like this:And a Google map of the lines at http://goo.gl/maps/QFGAU . Anyone for a whip round?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder why New Pudsey train station is still called that, as it has been so named for very many years now and has long not needed a 'New' tag?Sorry if this is not the right thread for this query but it seemed reasonable to post it here.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

I think that having two legs of the High Speed line north of Birmingham would be a waste of time seeing that the stations at Toton and Meadowhall are not city centre locations. I would suggest that the route would be London to Birmingham onto Manchester then over The Pennines to Leeds at a station closer to the city centre then further north perhaps via Leeds Bradford Airport then to The East Coast Main Line near Northallerton.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

They're not meant to be city centre locations, they serve 'catchments', hence there location close to motorways etc so Toton is Nottingham and Derby (east midlands) and Meadowhall is South Yorkshire. The Church Fenton is to link to the York/North East with a minimal further build. A limited number of stopss enables long periods of high speed travel without interuption and not all city centres are convenient for access and parking. By relieving mainline stations of London Intercity traffic greater capacity is released on existing track.. That's the theory anyway. I might be wrong but a high speed link trough the pennines would be even more expensive.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

As has been said, I'll believe it when I see it.If the line ever ventures North of Brum (assuming it ever gets there), I'm willing to bet that for some spurious reason they will decide to build the Manchester leg first and then let the Leeds line fade away to never. Leeds Council (reverting to type yet again) will meekly nod their heads and say thank you (for nothing) and excitedly bull up plans to introduce a revolutionary hot air balloon service connecting the city with our friends across the hill.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: I wonder why New Pudsey train station is still called that, as it has been so named for very many years now and has long not needed a 'New' tag? I daresay its perhaps to emphasise that, compared with the old long gone stations in Pudsey, this one is to all intents and purposes at "Far Stanningley."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.