A little railway puzzle

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
jf

Post by jf »

Great stuff, that was to be my next suggestion, helped by the fact I found the following book description late last night:http://www.transportdiversions.com/publ ... bid=1006Is this the book they have at the library? Do you know what gauge these lines would have been?

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Check out the 1895 map on old-maps.co.uk - line clearly marked. Nice work - it seems to join up right under the railway bridge that is still there - next time I'm on my way to Ilkley, I'll try and have a stop off and look around.Looking further up that map, it seemed to go quite a long way towards the Chevin - guess most of that got lost when the houses were built.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Yes, after the bridge it went quite a way along the hillside, with sidings branching off into the quarries.It was 3ft 6inch. There were 2 lines, one described as the 1880 line that ran along what is now Cabin Road. This crossed Otley Road on the level. In 1890 the top of the incline was re-aligned and the bridge was built. A 20 ton wrought iron girder bridge. It had the substantial stone abutments that are still there. It also had a "central" stone pillar, whose base I now realise I was standing on to take some pics.As far as I can make out the narrow guage ran to a loading stage and crane, which is where the stone would have been transferred.Originally worked by horses, the upper part of the line was later worked by a Hudswell Clarke engine.(That's the book, only it's now curled up on my knee and not in the library!)

jf

Post by jf »

There's information on the hospital line here:http://www.ilkley-more.com/ftopic1208.htmlSomeone on that discussion forum has a plan which is shown at the following link:http://www.ilkley-more.com/album_showpa ... 113There's macabre tales on there of the railway line being used to transport bodies to the cemetery on the opposite side of Bradford Road.I have a 1947 map of the area at work (1:10560 scale I think) which shows the line curving up to make a direct connection with the Leeds-Skipton line (the junction facing Ilkley). This suggests to me that this was standard gauge - is that correct Rikj? The tunnel looks a little small, but I'm guessing it's partly backfilled (and can't really guess the scale from the picture!).A slightly larger scale map which shows the connection is here:http://maps.ponies.me.uk/osmap.html?z=1 ... 148453It's reported that this was closed in 1951, so it lasted longer than the quarry line.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Cheers for that jf, I hadn't come across that Ilkley forum before. It was the persistent rumours of a "secret tunnel" to take the dead to the cemetery at High Royds that got me looking into the whole thing. With these things you usually think they are tall tales, but ofen there's a germ of truth in them.So I ended up peeking around in the bushes and came across the tunnel. Then I found that quote about Pool quarry and building the line. I suppose I could have gone straight to the library and got the whole story from the start. But it's much more fun to follow the clues and piece it altogether yourself!I'm definately going out to Pool, and maybe Menston to see what else is left. The incline looks fascinating.I'm just debating the ethics of putting up a pic out of the book. A cracking shot of the girder bridge.

jf

Post by jf »

The book is out of print, I imagine a low quality copy of the image here would do no harm - probably encourage people to look out for the book!Do you know of any surviving rope-hauled inclines that have been preserved? I think there was one operating in Cumbria well into the 70's.

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

jf wrote: Do you know of any surviving rope-hauled inclines that have been preserved? I think there was one operating in Cumbria well into the 70's. There was indeed - I think it was the last one; Corkickle Brake at Whitehaven - it actually survived until 1986! Info and pics here:http://www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/corki ... /brake.htm

John

Post by John »

The High Royds Hospital Railway.David Voice's book, Hospital Tramways and Railways, 2006, has a couple of pages on the line. I have them scanned. If anybody is interested, contatc me off-group.John.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Thanks for that john, will have to try and track that down. Finally got around to scanning the pic of the bridge across the Otley Road, which is hopefully appearing above.Both abutments are still there, as is the base of the supporting pillar. I don't think it would be advisable to pose a small child in the road these days!!
Attachments
__TFMF_bc2ogaz3kv4xr445xuflxj3z_ceac7359-7a1a-4338-b495-c9d484cc53b5_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_bc2ogaz3kv4xr445xuflxj3z_ceac7359-7a1a-4338-b495-c9d484cc53b5_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (16.11 KiB) Viewed 2382 times

John

Post by John »

Still with hospital railways, a siding was put in 500 yards on the Ilkley side of Burley-in-Wharfedale station for the building of Scalebor Park hospital.It was inspected by the BoT in June 1899 but the steepness of the gradient incurred the Inspecting Officer's displeasure and opening was postponed until 28-7-1899. Known as Gould's Siding, after the builder, it was closed in June 1903.I haven't been up to have a look but I understand there are very few remains visible.John.