Aviation Connections

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

The thread about the old Blackburn Factory on Rounday Road got me thinking how many other places in Leeds have Aviation connections. Ok the obvious one is Yeadon and the Avro works but what about the smaller things, so and so was born/lived here etc. I know that in both wars many woodworking factories around the UK were engaged in building parts for aircraft so are there any in Leeds. The obvious one in recent years is the Arron memorial at the bottom of the Headrow why did the council go to all the time and expense of commissioning the sculpture and then put it in a place that makes it almost invisible. Yorkshire is more or less the birth place of aviation in this country so it must be teaming with names places and stories.    

rikj

Post by rikj »

Ha, great stuff fest. A little digging shows some real nuggets. Not surprisingly a lot relate to the Blackburn Aircraft Company. They built an aircraft called the Kangaroo Torpedo Bomber, many of which were purchased by civilian companies after the end of WWI.So, now we know that a Kangaroo built by Blackburn carried the first overseas commercial freight charter flight. On 5/3/1920 it flew a consignment of raincoats to Amsterdam. Another first for Leeds!Also, there was a passenger service from Roundhay Park to London. Seven passengers at a time.All info from the excellent Leodis site.

phil17

Post by phil17 »

No connection with Leeds that I know of, but did anyone else catch this Lancaster as it did a flypast over Headingley Stadium on Friday afternoon?
Attachments
__TFMF_14gyuqqavwdydlmof1co4q55_e0b04f37-dd89-4046-9c24-588e8d0f33a9_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_14gyuqqavwdydlmof1co4q55_e0b04f37-dd89-4046-9c24-588e8d0f33a9_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

I knew I heard Merlin Engines on Friday I just could not see her. This Lancaster is the one belonging to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and is one of only two flying in the world, she is painted in a new scheme for this years display season as EE139 The Phantom of the Ruhr an aircraft that flew over 120 missions with 100 & 550 squadrons during WW2. As for the Leeds connection yes there is although this particular aircraft was built in Chester many Lanc's were built at Avro's factory at Yeadon.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I believe that the Lancaster was saluting 50 years of "Test Match Special" on Radio 4. And it flew over Barwick in Elmet the previous Saturday Afternoon.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Yea she has been over Yorkshire a lot in recent weeks last week she was doing a Flypast over Howarth for the 1940's weekend and the week before that she was over at the Yorkshire Air Museum for the Battle Group North Show. And I think she is back next month for a show at the Royal Armories though I'm not sure of the date. As you can tell I'm an Aviation nut but anyone who fails to be moved by the sight and sound of six Merlin's has no soul. Six including the Spitfire and Hurricane that is.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Anyone see the Dakota fly over Leeds this afternoon???

big s

Post by big s »

Festwerfer wrote: Anyone see the Dakota fly over Leeds this afternoon??? just missed getting a photo of it ;twice;as it flew low by the airport .i used to be faster than that!
at least until the world stops going round.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Did you happen to see whether it was the BBMF one or not it was too far off for me to make out.