Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Thanks Blakey - I was about 7 at the time I guess so I think I did well to remember it at all :-) ... it's amazing what memories one can dig out when prompted by a SL thread!

jim

Post by jim »

That would have been the access road to the rail-level floor of the LNWR/L&YR goods shed - that in fact was the one that the wagon hoists served.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: That would have been the access road to the rail-level floor of the LNWR/L&YR goods shed - that in fact was the one that the wagon hoists served. That's most interesting Jim, and figures now - so was there a rail bridge across Northern Street then ? - I suppose there must have been as the remaining wagon hoist is west of that thoroughfare.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

There must have been indeed Blakey - although I did not make a conscious note of it at the top of the ramp at the time. The warehouse itself ran from Nothern Street westwards. If I recall correctly the first section contained bonded areas, and several floors of general storage warehousing. There were no arches beneath this section. The section further west comprised of two platforms and four tracks, with wagon turntables immediately outside, to provide access to the wagon hoists. Beneath this section were a whole series of supporting arches, with through tracks off more wagon tables from the lower yard at ground level.The ramp which you mentioned also provided on its south side access to a parcels and small general goods facility at the side of the Leeds Central passenger station. The building to the north of the ramp fronting onto Wellington Street was in part a railway company canteen. Similar provision could be found all over the railway system, and food and tea (of course) could be had at very low prices. Unfortunately this particular establishment had a very poor reputation for the quality of its fare.        

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: There must have been indeed Blakey - although I did not make a conscious note of it at the time. The warehouse itself ran from Nothern Street westwards. If I recall correctly the first section contained bonded areas, and several floors of general storage warehousing. There were no arches beneath this section. The section further west comprised of two platforms and four tracks, with wagon turntables immediately outside, to provide access to the wagon hoists. Beneath this section were a whole series of supporting arches, with through tracks off more wagon tables from the lower yard at ground level.The ramp which you mentioned also provided on its south side access to a parcels and small general goods facility at the side of the Leeds Central passenger station. The building to the north of the ramp fronting onto Wellington Street was in part a railway company canteen. Similar provision could be found all over the railway system, and food and tea (of course) could be had at very low prices. Unfortunately this particular establishment had a very poor reputation for the quality of its fare.     Yes Jim, Godfrey's 1908 map (posted in other threads0 shows Northern Street seemingly ending abruptly where it encounters the boundary of Cental Station. Although no bridge is depicted as such, it is clear that the footway must continue under the station to meet Wellington Road, ery much as it does today.I remember the old parcels office, more than once having to retrieve purchases from there, and then realising the complexities of gettin home on the bus with said parcels!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: The building to the north of the ramp fronting onto Wellington Street was in part a railway company canteen. Similar provision could be found all over the railway system, and food and tea (of course) could be had at very low prices. Unfortunately this particular establishment had a very poor reputation for the quality of its fare.     My dad worked in the Aire Street offices as a claims representative and several times when I was a small lad I was taken in that Wellington Street canteen - it seemed magic to a sheltered young 'un from Ilkley.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

BLAKEY wrote: so was there a rail bridge across Northern Street then ? - I suppose there must have been as the remaining wagon hoist is west of that thoroughfare. There was a map on this site a while ago depicting the old Central Station and Wellington St goods depot that clearly showed Northern St as a road under bridge, i would imagine thats the reason Northern St dips quite visibly between Wellington St and Whitehall Rd.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="BIG N] There was a map on this site a while ago depicting the old Central Station and Wellington St goods depot that clearly showed Northern St as a road under bridge, i would imagine thats the reason Northern St dips quite visibly between Wellington St and Whitehall Rd. Ah yes, that brings it all back now - while I'd forgotten about the bridge lately the dip refreshes the old scene - many thanks.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

This may be of interest to some http://flic.kr/p/e1XDLiSt Peter's Street, 1976.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Here's a West Riding bus pulling out of the small bus station on New York Street.http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-cont ... eds_lr.jpg This is one of the ill fated Wulfrunians - painted red. I bought a book at the Heath Common bus event last year called "The Red Buses" which has good pictures of the AEC central entrance red buses that replaced the West Riding trams on the route to Leeds. Apparently for some reason not one of these unique buses has been preserved, which is a shame.