Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Johnny39 wrote: I remember catching the bus in Lisbon Street in the 50's to go to Bridlington. I think you paid on the bus, which could be single or double decker and I'm pretty sure they were West Yorkshires. They left very early in the morning, round about 7.00 a.m. and took about 3-4 hours including refreshment stop to get there, no Taddy, York or Malton bye-passes in those days. There was a couple of inspectors organising both busses and passengers and I'm pretty sure it was only used on Saturdays. I think the busses went to other places apart from Brid. but not sure where. I'm not sure where the cases were stowed on the bus either but everything seemed to work out O.K. Lisbon Street was very different then to now and actually extended north beyond its present endpoint over what is now part of the inner Ring Road.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Can't locate any piccies on Lisbon Street, but buses went to Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport, Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby and Filey Camp only on Saturdays.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Brunel wrote: Can't locate any piccies on Lisbon Street, but buses went to Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport, Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby and Filey Camp only on Saturdays. I think this may have been where we caught the bus to Scarborough. As I posted earlier the first time was a single decker with a rear entrance. I guess it must have been a West Yorkshire, but Yorkshire Traction sticks in my mind . Did they run a joint service? We certainly went on a West Yorkshire Bristol double decker once - it took 5 hours!Coming back, again on a double decker, in order to avoid some of the delay for the lights at Malton, the driver took a short cut through a bus garage, and came out the other side of the junction - could have been a West Yorkshire or a United garage depending upon wihch company served Malton - hard to tell apart except for the names on the buses.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I feel sure I used to see buses in Leeds that were from a bus company called Salterhebble. I have googled (I like that word ) but have not readily come up with anything on a bus company of that name. Assuming there was such a company does anyone know when Salterhebble stopped running and what bus station/s it used in Leeds?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: I feel sure I used to see buses in Leeds that were from a bus company called Salterhebble. I have googled (I like that word ) but have not readily come up with anything on a bus company of that name. Assuming there was such a company does anyone know when Salterhebble stopped running and what bus station/s it used in Leeds? You're not mixing two things with a slight corruption are you? There was definitely the Hebble Bus Co running in Calderdale and west Bradford http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_trans ... ebble1.htm but are you perhaps thinking of Calder Hebble which is the canal from the Aire-Calder north east of Wakefield to the Calder at Sowerby Bridge http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/chn2.htm
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BJF

Post by BJF »

Salterhebble is in halifax

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote: Leodian wrote: I feel sure I used to see buses in Leeds that were from a bus company called Salterhebble. I have googled (I like that word ) but have not readily come up with anything on a bus company of that name. Assuming there was such a company does anyone know when Salterhebble stopped running and what bus station/s it used in Leeds? You're not mixing two things with a slight corruption are you? There was definitely the Hebble Bus Co running in Calderdale and west Bradford http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_trans ... ebble1.htm but are you perhaps thinking of Calder Hebble which is the canal from the Aire-Calder north east of Wakefield to the Calder at Sowerby Bridge http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/chn2.htm Thanks tyke bhoy. It seems there was no bus company called Salterhebble and that I must be thinking of the Hebble one. Well my brain is not what it was! Mind you, I think it is remarkable that the currently operating Geldards bus company name is an anagram of the famous Ledgards bus company name. Ooops I seem to have wandered off topic.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

majorhoundii wrote: Brunel wrote: Can't locate any piccies on Lisbon Street, but buses went to Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport, Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby and Filey Camp only on Saturdays. I think this may have been where we caught the bus to Scarborough. As I posted earlier the first time was a single decker with a rear entrance. I guess it must have been a West Yorkshire, but Yorkshire Traction sticks in my mind . Did they run a joint service? We certainly went on a West Yorkshire Bristol double decker once - it took 5 hours!Coming back, again on a double decker, in order to avoid some of the delay for the lights at Malton, the driver took a short cut through a bus garage, and came out the other side of the junction - could have been a West Yorkshire or a United garage depending upon wihch company served Malton - hard to tell apart except for the names on the buses. I fancy it would have been the West Yorkshire bus garage. WYRCC used to serve Malton.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Didn't Wellington Street use the site of the old Central railway station as overflow during the summer rush? Sticks in my mind struggling over the road when I was a sprog!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Patexpat wrote: Didn't Wellington Street use the site of the old Central railway station as overflow during the summer rush? Sticks in my mind struggling over the road when I was a sprog! Well almost Patexpat - they used the upward sloping street across the road, immediately west (literally) of the Central Station.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.