Some old bus stations in the centre of Leeds.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Edit: think this might be the garage http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... r=2407This was the main Tate garage on Trafalgar Street. NEGB bought this building in the 1970s and made it into a multistory car park for their Head Office building on New York Road. This was sold in 2005 and is now operated as a private car park. It's undergoing refurbishment so it must have a future

Crazy_Jane

Post by Crazy_Jane »

"I spent quite a few Sundays at Wellington Street in the mid-80s, waiting for the bus to Middlesbrough. It was even more bleak and windswept on a Sunday with very little nearby."It was very grim, when I was a kid I once was approached in City Square on a Sunday by a creepy man who offered me money to personally show him where the Wellington Street bus station was... i absolutely shudder to think what would have happened if i'd gone there with him.Iirc it was still open and in use well into the 90s, going for the 6am London coach from there wasn't a lot of fun.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

majorhoundii wrote: You couldn't call it a bus station, but the terminous for Yorkshire Woollen services to Dewsbury, Elland and Overton was alongside the Queens Hall on Sovereign Street. When I was a kid a lot of the Yorkshire Woollen Services and Hebble Motors Services used Wellington Street itself for services to Huddersfield, Halifax, Rochdale and Burnley. I also recall boarding services for Scarborough from Wellington Street - but not the Coach Station. I remember travelling on a rear entrance red single decker - Blakey will probably know who it belonged to. Blakey's on a European rail holiday at present, so I'll answer some of your points. Yorkshire Woollen had street termini in Queen Street for its services entering Leeds via Whitehall Road. These ran in via Wellington Street, then turned right into Queen Street. Outward journeys ran via St Paul's Street (or the next one along) and then into City Square before turning into Whitehall Road. Hebble entered Leeds via Armley Road & Wellington St, turning left into Queen St, then running round the block to turn right into King St to its terminus outside the GPO sorting office. On departure they turned right out of King St into Wellington St and thence to Armley Rd.For your service to Scarborough you very likely travelled on a Bristol L6B or L6G rear-entrance saloon (or its LL or LWL variants) with Eastern Coach Works bodywork, belonging to West Yorkshire Road Car. Its service 43 originated in Bradford, via Calverley, Rodley & Kirkstall to Wellington St Coach Station, then went on to Vicar Lane Bus Station to pick up passengers who had travelled into Leeds on other WYRCC routes, and then went via York and Malton to Scarborough. Many 43 journeys ran short between Wellington St and Scarborough, and between Leeds and York. This service is now one of those operated by Yorkshire Coastliner, itself a successor of the privatised WYRCC, although Bradford is no longer served.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my query. One thing they do show is how essential it is that photographic records are kept of things and also how useful the SL website is. Oh, and also how quickly I forget things as I had totally forgotten about the West Riding Bus Station that would be partly about where the Co-op store now is.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's a West Riding bus pulling out of the small bus station on New York Street.http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-cont ... eds_lr.jpg
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

book

Post by book »

I remember the Wellington St bus station. It was for longer journey's to other major Cities, National Express operated from Wellington St. The pictures above in the thread are interesting because the blue backloader is a Sammy Ledgard bus and they operated from Armley. There is a memorial stone on the site of the old Ledgard site at the top of Canal Rd just before Armley on the road junction
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I have been reliably informed that Lisbon St. was used as a summer only bus station.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brunel wrote: I have been reliably informed that Lisbon St. was used as a summer only bus station.     Where abouts exactly was that on Lisbon Street Brunel?

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The buses parked on the road.No actual building.I will try to find further details.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I remember catching the bus in Lisbon Street in the 50's to go to Bridlington. I think you paid on the bus, which could be single or double decker and I'm pretty sure they were West Yorkshires. They left very early in the morning, round about 7.00 a.m. and took about 3-4 hours including refreshment stop to get there, no Taddy, York or Malton bye-passes in those days. There was a couple of inspectors organising both busses and passengers and I'm pretty sure it was only used on Saturdays. I think the busses went to other places apart from Brid. but not sure where. I'm not sure where the cases were stowed on the bus either but everything seemed to work out O.K.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?