Bus Lane cameras to earn the council revenue?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Looks like new funding to take place of loss of parking fines budget.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14882771300k very nice
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

jim

Post by jim »

Looks like a method of encouraging selfish motorists to respect the bus lanes. Even nicer.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jim wrote: Looks like a method of encouraging selfish motorists to respect the bus lanes. Even nicer. Exactly Jim. The thread title was me being mischievous
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I've always driven all the way up/down the bus lanes on Otley Road provided it was outside the Mon-Fri rush hour times stated on some of the signs (I'm usually only out that way on a Sunday). I believed that the time signs applied along the entire length of the bus lanes.Are you saying that where there's a sign without times specified, the lane reverts to 24/7 bus lane? I thought they just didn't bother putting the times on every single sign? Have I been breaking the law all these years without realising it?More to the point, when did I last drive that way? I think it was the last Sunday in August, on the way to Skipton. I wonder if I've got a nice little surprise yet to arrive in the post?
The older I get, the better I was.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Good! Why should 80% of people respect the bus lane and the other 20% get away with it. Now all they need to do is get on on the Headrow and catch all those that turn right from Albion Street!

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Thanks LS1, very helpful.Ian Smith, you got me thinking there about the bus lanes/signage on Woodhouse Lane/Otley Road, so I've just "travelled" the entire length from Claypit Lane to the outer Ring Road, using the Street Map photos on Google Earth, and it appears that every single bus lane sign in both directions now includes the time of day restrictions (which are 0700 to 0930 Mon-Fri inbound, and 1600 - 1830 Mon-Fri outbound).So the times don't actually change on that route, as far as I can see, and I've been perfectly legal driving on the bus lanes on Sunday afternoons.
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote: Good! Why should 80% of people respect the bus lane and the other 20% get away with it. Now all they need to do is get on on the Headrow and catch all those that turn right from Albion Street! Apologies that this is not directly about the topic but the Albion Street/Headrow junction is one that a lot of traffic and pedestrians have problems with. Cars travelling far too fast on Albion Street is a concern. Also that of drivers seemingly having no idea what to do if they are turning at green onto a road with lights at red for traffic already on that road. It is not uncommon to see the driver stop and then block the junction. Many pedestrians do cross when the lights are at green for traffic, which is also often when cars are speeding too fast so resulting in near misses. Thankfully I've not seen an accident there but I would be surprised if there has not been some.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: LS1 wrote: Good! Why should 80% of people respect the bus lane and the other 20% get away with it. Now all they need to do is get on on the Headrow and catch all those that turn right from Albion Street! Apologies that this is not directly about the topic but the Albion Street/Headrow junction is one that a lot of traffic and pedestrians have problems with. Cars travelling far too fast on Albion Street is a concern. Also that of drivers seemingly having no idea what to do if they are turning at green onto a road with lights at red for traffic already on that road. It is not uncommon to see the driver stop and then block the junction. Many pedestrians do cross when the lights are at green for traffic, which is also often when cars are speeding too fast so resulting in near misses. Thankfully I've not seen an accident there but I would be surprised if there has not been some. It was (still is?) the case that part of this junction had a no left turn into albion street if I have the right location, aimed a vehicles otherwise legitimately using the stretch of road, which did place those drivers ignoring the instruction faced with an unexpected stop light. Cause and solution fairly obvious.As for pedestrians ignoring their red stop lights, they should perhaps expect the same treatment as they would levy to the (all too many) errant drivers. Sadly of course the consequences could be far worse for the wanderlust people of feet but, not entirely always the fault of others.

jim

Post by jim »

I am open to correction, but it is my understanding that traffic signals are mandatory for vehicles (including pedal cycles) but advisory for pedestrians. Naturally, it is then the pedestrian's own responsibility to ensure that he or she is able to cross safely and without impeding any vehicle having the right of way. Perhaps anyone having full and accurate knowledge of the law on the subject might like to comment or correct me.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: I am open to correction, but it is my understanding that traffic signals are mandatory for vehicles (including pedal cycles) but advisory for pedestrians. Naturally, it is then the pedestrian's own responsibility to ensure that he or she is able to cross safely and without impeding any vehicle having the right of way. Perhaps anyone having full and accurate knowledge of the law on the subject might like to comment or correct me.     I bekieve you are correct Jim we don't have 'jay walking' on the statute do we. Non the less I suspect that in any procedings that ignoring even an advisory signal would be seen as negligence and have an effect on the outcome of any proceedings both criminal and those of the civil gompensation-culture nature.I wonder if an inocent driver has ever such a pedestrian for caucjng an accident? Now, there's a thought