WHERE EXACTLY WAS PENDA'S WAY STATION ??

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
buffaloskinner

Re: WHERE EXACTLY WAS PENDA'S WAY STATION ??

Post by buffaloskinner »

:!:
Map from 1953 shows Penda's Halt.
It also reminded me that I had not heard mentioned the area called Stanks for many years, (think it was the number 40 to Stanks).
Notice that Barnbow is also not shown for security reasons.

:arrow:
Attachments
Crossgates 1953.JPG
Crossgates 1953.JPG (104.73 KiB) Viewed 14212 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jma

Post by jma »

Funny how this type of thread brings the memories flooding back. Whenever we went to visit we went by bus, generally to Stanks, or was it Manston? I do remember that if we got the other one it was something of a hike. My father always preferred to travel by train rather than the bus where possible, so I was wondering why we didn't go by train and get off at this station. They were family on my mother's side and my father only went when he couldn't wriggle out of it eg Christmas.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea:
If memory serves me correctly the number 40 bus went to Stanks and the other service (56?) went to Austhorpe, that's where the hike will have been from I think.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

peterg

Post by peterg »

The Stanks bus nº 40 was my regular means of transport for many years, first when still at Secondary school and then working, as mentioned in an earlier post. Its route unerwent several changes, first coming along Penda's Way, up Penda's Grove, along Manston Gardens, up Church Lane and down Barwick Road to Stanks. It was then curtailed to have its terminus at the top end of Penda's Grove and finally, at the time I left Leeds, the terminus was alongside the Community Centre. And it runs in my mind that before moving to the Penda's Way, etc route, it may have initially started running straight up Church Lane, bu 1945/46 are a long time ago and while i still have a very good mermory, more than a few things escape me.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Recently following a map showing footpath called the fold running from smeaton school through the existing tunnel towards the cockbeck pub, it immediately comes to a dead end. Anyone any information?