WHERE EXACTLY WAS PENDA'S WAY STATION ??

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: get back on topic of Pendas Way station yes???     Can anyone confirm whether the rails were used to ship kit in and out of the Tank factory or was it a leisure rail to the coast

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Jogon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: get back on topic of Pendas Way station yes???     Can anyone confirm whether the rails were used to ship kit in and out of the Tank factory or was it a leisure rail to the coast Barnbow had its own halt so presumably it would be on this line? http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /4746.html

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Jogon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: get back on topic of Pendas Way station yes???     Can anyone confirm whether the rails were used to ship kit in and out of the Tank factory or was it a leisure rail to the coast Barnbow had its own halt so presumably it would be on this line? http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /4746.html Jogon - have a look at the Barnbow threads too, there is quite a lot of info and detail about this. The map included in Geordie's link is quite clear, a large copy is usually on display in the East Leeds Heritage section of Crossgates library.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: That should be spot on where the station stood in today's world. The footpath to the station is marked in grey.     Ha, Phill, I wish I'd seen this months ago, I puzzled and puzzled about how people would get to the station building Pendas Way in RWs, and about a month ago, got round to looking on old-maps and saw the ginnel between the two houses. You'd never have known there was a path there now, expect the two drives are different widths. Thanks to all the people who have had a look at the screenhots I've done, it is a bit of fun really, but does take some work to get it looking anything like, but it's nice to see a bit of history come to "virtual" life. https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F% ... x1ywIw--~B

Ken R

Re: WHERE EXACTLY WAS PENDA'S WAY STATION ??

Post by Ken R »

I remember getting the train from Pendas Station to Crossgates when I was a kid, to go to the a Ritz Cinema. Pendas station was situated half way between the Community Centre on Kelmscott Green and the Pendas shops. There used to be a ginned between two of the houses to get through to it.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Until recently my sister lived at 162 Pendas Way ( for 25 years)and she said that the passage way to what had been the road to the station had already been taken over by the folks next door but one to them simply by, as said earlier, just widening their drive. my sister also thinks that there may have been a small sum of money paid.

peterg

Post by peterg »

My family went to live in Penda's Grove in February of 1939 on what was known then as the Bray Estate, and, if I remember rightly, the station was opened in June of that year. I can't remember using it more than once or twice since it was not of much use for me, working as I did in Regent Street and there being a bus stop beside Quarry Hill Flats, just a few yards walk away from work. The nearest railway station was at Marsh Lane. The younger of my sisters worked for BR and, so, did use the station. Some of the images purrporting to be Penda's Way station are absolutely nothing like it, nor are the surrounding houses.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Volvo Jack "until recently my sister lived at 162 Pendas Way ( for 25 years)and she said that the passage way to what had been the road to the station had already been taken over by the folks next door but one to them simply by, as said earlier, just widening their drive. my sister also thinks that there may have been a small sum of money paid.

Spoke to my sister on the phone last night and she reaffirmed that the passageway leading to the Station was only a couple of houses away from hers, the only thing i forgot to do was ask her if it was above or below her house.
As it has been mentioned earlier it is quite noticeable as the drive mentioned is a fair bit wider than all the others

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Here are 2 maps which show exactly the location of the Pendas Way Halt.
Access seems to be between Number 134 and 136- FP is the footpath
The Geographia map is from the A1 Atlas of Leeds - it is not dated but it shows streets which were built 1950-55.
It was a Christmas present, delivered by Santa in 1958.
Attachments
Pendas Way Halt.jpg
Pendas Way Halt.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 14978 times
Geographia .JPG
Geographia .JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 14978 times

jma

Post by jma »

My Great Uncle and Aunt Turner lived on Penda's Way just after the war, when the houses were fairly recently built. I can't remember their address but the railway line passed the bottom of their garden and I've done quite a bit of trainspotting there. My mother worked at the Thorpe Arch munitions factory during the war and she used to say that she went there from Leeds by train which used this line.

Gertrude Bray was a Labour councillor in Leeds but also a property developer. She's referred to here on Leodis:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=1768