WHERE EXACTLY WAS PENDA'S WAY STATION ??

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Phill_dvsn
PostsCOLON 4423
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 5:47 am

Postby Phill_dvsn » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 6:03 pm

My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5847
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 7:00 pm

That is fascinating Phill. The fastest journey I spotted on a quick look was the 2 3 (Saturday Only) from Penda's Way that arrives in Leeds at 2 12, thus 9 minutes! I guess it did not stop at Crossgates and Osmondthorpe, but perhaps it still did.

No Second Class in those days just First and plebs (sorry Third Class) except for the workmen's tickets.

As a child in the late 1940's to very early 1950's I recall (though vaguely now) using Osmondthorpe Station.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
Phill_dvsn
PostsCOLON 4423
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 5:47 am

Postby Phill_dvsn » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 7:30 pm

That should be spot on where the station stood in today's world. The footpath to the station is marked in grey.   https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4050%2F4318747743_010ba791aa.jpg&t=1421449184&sig=fJNtS9tzFjxRYa48x1ywIw--~B
My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!
scrabbler
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Fri 24 Jun, 2011 4:16 pm

Postby scrabbler » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:56 pm

Railways and Tramways in The City of Leeds by Alan J Haigh
ISBN 978-185794-333-7 has pictures of old Leeds Sations etc

alanlad
PostsCOLON 65
JoinedCOLON Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:22 am

Postby alanlad » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 1:51 pm

I llived at 101 Pendas Way in 1960's; about 100 yards past the shops going towards Barwick Road. The station was almost directly opposite. Although the tracks had been removed, the route was still there.    
Don't count the days; make the days count!
BLAKEY
PostsCOLON 2556
JoinedCOLON Mon 24 Mar, 2008 4:42 am

Postby BLAKEY » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:01 pm

alanlad wrote:
I llived at 101 Pendas Way in 1960's; about 100 yards past the shops going towards Barwick Road. The station was almost directly opposite. Although the tracks had been removed, the route was still there.    


As I expected, my friend who lives very close to your former address was astonished to learn of the existence of the station.
Also, for those who believe in telepathy and I do in a rational way, the same friend has just rung again while I was half way through typing the above sentence !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.
alanlad
PostsCOLON 65
JoinedCOLON Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:22 am

Postby alanlad » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:17 pm

It's many years since I saw what remains of the line. I shall be in Leeds next week and try to make time to visit it again. I have lived in Copmanthorpe (York) and now in Tadcaster and both have had railway stations that are now defunct.    
Don't count the days; make the days count!
Phill_dvsn
PostsCOLON 4423
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 5:47 am

Postby Phill_dvsn » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:01 am

I've just seen a sort of 3D simulation of the railway between Crossgates and Wetherby, I have to say I'm suitably impressed.

The aerial view of Pendas station as it was can be seen here
http://tinyurl.com/bnd4f33

The rest of this line is in this set here
http://tinyurl.com/bs7o3t2
My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian
PostsCOLON 5847
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:51 am

Phill_dvsn wrote:
I've just seen a sort of 3D simulation of the railway between Crossgates and Wetherby, I have to say I'm suitably impressed.

The aerial view of Pendas station as it was can be seen here
http://tinyurl.com/bnd4f33

The rest of this line is in this set here
http://tinyurl.com/bs7o3t2


I'm also very impressed. They cannot have been easy to produce. Well worth looking through all of the set.

PS I like the 'Scarcroft lane bridge 181211. Phill.D has taken a view of this bridge!'. That bridge and its deep cutting is well worth a visit. It is a bit wet in parts at the Bardsey side of the old rail track and progress on the Thorner side of the bridge is however blocked, or it was when I was last there a year or two back).    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
Phill_dvsn
PostsCOLON 4423
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 5:47 am

Postby Phill_dvsn » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 1:04 am

Leodian wrote:
Phill_dvsn wrote:
I've just seen a sort of 3D simulation of the railway between Crossgates and Wetherby, I have to say I'm suitably impressed.

The aerial view of Pendas station as it was can be seen here
http://tinyurl.com/bnd4f33

The rest of this line is in this set here
http://tinyurl.com/bs7o3t2


I'm also very impressed. They cannot have been easy to produce. Well worth looking through all of the set.

PS I like the 'Scarcroft lane bridge 181211. Phill.D has taken a view of this bridge!'. That bridge and its deep cutting is well worth a visit. It is a bit wet in parts at the Bardsey side of the old rail track and progress on the Thorner side of the bridge is however blocked, or it was when I was last there a year or two back).    


My photo of the bridge is here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/5422393960/

It's certainly a lot more overgrown down there these days than on the 3D simulation.
My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests