Middleton Bus Garage

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
volvojack

Re: Middleton Bus Garage

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Nice to see it is in good hands if you had not got it i could see it being in a skip by now.

Just looking at that Coat of Arms always gave a warm feeling when i lived in leeds and even now it is very nice to see it. Although it also makes me feel nostalgic for the only City i shall ever love.
Thanks for the Pictures.

Saladodger

Post by Saladodger »

ex Drivers
Brian Pearson
Mick Mortimer
Eddie McGreavy

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Alan Lowther - left in early 80s and had a shop at bottom of Rein Road and Dewsbury Road
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the late 60's / early 70's ihad a Green grocer Business in what was then a thriving Morley Market. i used to buy vegetables at times from a Market Gardener, one of the Lowther family off Brittania Road, There seemed to be quite a few Lowthers in his family and they owned large areas around Tingley and Morley growing Cabbages and Cauliflowers etc. I wonder if your man was related.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

buffaloskinner wrote:Alan Lowther - left in early 80s and had a shop at bottom of Rein Road and Dewsbury Road
Cheers Buffalo for that reminder.
I didn't work with Alan when he was out of Miggy, I think he had left just before I started, but did work with him for 10 years at Black Prince, as far as I know he is enjoying retirement on the east coast, I believe Hornsey / Withernsea area. He used to own the fish and chip shop opposite the Babes in the Wood, he used to make me laugh when telling stories of how he dreaded, (in a jovial way) Mally Bland going in for fish and chips, apparently Malcolm would always wind him up. Alan is a lovely guy, would love to see him again.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Might any of you lot maybe remember Brian Greaves?

stephenmgill1950

Post by stephenmgill1950 »

Hi Blakey, can remember Midd opening by the then transport minister Barbara Castle, it was the future for the surrounding area.....Me i was based at Seacroft 68 to close then Torre onwards. i can remember that at one point Geoff Pinder coming to Torre Road as garage manager as the then manager had made moral so low the native were getting restless, probably the blokes from Seacroft !!!! I also had a good few mettings with Graham Wright when i did the Nebss course for supervisors. The project i tried to get off the ground was to use the spare capacity for outside repairs service storage of vehicle (there was plenty of room) but it fell on deaf ears, maybe it was too far forward for Swinegate at the time. Have tried to set up something similar for Seacroft Garage but living in New Zealand makes it a bit hard, any help here would be gratefully received, one last thing i can remember being on stand by and ferrying buses back to Midd in the days of staff shortages, we used to race each other up Belle Isle, if you got a good 'un Take care.

ShaRip000

Post by ShaRip000 »

My dad was Kenneth (Ken)
Ripley. He was a conductor and later a driver in the 1970’s into the 80’s.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L ShaRipooo.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi ShaRip, I knew your dad as I was also out of Middleton. He was quite a character, didn't you live in the Cardinals if I recall correctly.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?