Railway in New Farnley

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
simonm

Post by simonm »

So the Farnley train never actually went as far as the village then, or did it. From the plans and the piccies it seems to have stopped on the Whitehall Rd side near D+R???
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

simonm wrote: So the Farnley train never actually went as far as the village then, or did it. From the plans and the piccies it seems to have stopped on the Whitehall Rd side near D+R??? Simon (or is it Armleywhite? And where's waccoe in your siggy eh?)Although i stand to be corrected i believe the Farnley Branch line was not a passenger line but was used for carrying goods from the fireclay works on the other side of whitehall road and also goods from D+R. The closest station to there was Farnley and Wortley (or Wortley and Farnley when it was moved slightly, Cheers phil) just after Dragon Bridge

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: So the Farnley train never actually went as far as the village then, or did it. From the plans and the piccies it seems to have stopped on the Whitehall Rd side near D+R??? Simon (or is it Armleywhite? And where's waccoe in your siggy eh?)Although i stand to be corrected i believe the Farnley Branch line was not a passenger line but was used for carrying goods from the fireclay works on the other side of whitehall road and also goods from D+R. The closest station to there was Farnley and Wortley (or Wortley and Farnley when it was moved slightly, Cheers phil) just after Dragon Bridge It always struck me as odd naming it Farnley and Wortley as did the name Farnley sheds because they were both miles from Old and New Farnley
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

duplicaste post
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

simonm

Post by simonm »

FarnleyBloke wrote: simonm wrote: So the Farnley train never actually went as far as the village then, or did it. From the plans and the piccies it seems to have stopped on the Whitehall Rd side near D+R??? Simon (or is it Armleywhite? And where's waccoe in your siggy eh?)Although i stand to be corrected i believe the Farnley Branch line was not a passenger line but was used for carrying goods from the fireclay works on the other side of whitehall road and also goods from D+R. The closest station to there was Farnley and Wortley (or Wortley and Farnley when it was moved slightly, Cheers phil) just after Dragon Bridge Aye, it is ArmlwyWhite, and when has waccoe EVER been friendly? :-)))As to the railway, It now comes clear why there is a bridge abutement opposite where Dunlop and Rankin was. I could never work out where the bloody line went to go over that Lol..My father in law used to live up on Whincover drive. When we lived with him ,for a short time, I used to walk the dog over on the waste ground, where the fireclay place was. At the time, mid 90's ,there was still lots of oldwalls and bits of buildings around, which was obviously the old factories!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

superleeds1

Post by superleeds1 »

I worked at Dunlop & Ranken in the early 70s and used to collectthe advise notes from the sides of the rail wagons in the sidings.Used to walk up and down that line in all weather!

Mr ..N.D.

Post by Mr ..N.D. »

I used to play around the Forge and surrounding areas making dens with my mates from Farnley Park High and we stumbled across the remains of old smashed carrages and tunnels, I often wondered where the line went where it stopped next to the alotments near Cobden Primary...I remember the floods also...too vividly...lol

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Hi guys - had a couple of days with nothing much to do and was trawling through some old stuff on here when I found this topic so, if you dont mind, I would like to ask a couple of questions if poss.Someone said that their parents street cut through the old earth works of this possible railway in New Farnley and it was quite impressive to see, which street is this please and can you get a close inspection of the embankment without trespassing on peoples property, I would love to take a look if poss.I well remember the bridge over Whitehall Rd that carried the brach into what I now know as the Fire clay works, i assumed, incorrectly it would appear, that this was terminated in a small goods yard in this area.The buildings behind what was the recently destroyed office block of the Fireclay works are very railway in appearence and I had thought they were a goods shed of some description, these are the buildings now used by Geldards coaches.Having looked at the direction the line ran after crossing Whithall Rd it appears to have headed away from these buildings and to some extent still appears to skirt the rear of the Lettershop group buildings even today, this is very clear if you look on Google Earth.I guess a siding or line could have branched off towards the Fireclay works buildings but any evidence would have long been lost under the modern buildings of the Lettershop group etc.Did this line cross Lawns Ln on a bridge or a level crossing, was the Rd dipped to the level of the railway or was it taken below the line ??I too remember often seeing a deisel shunter stood on or close too the Whitehall Rd bridge and also remember it making the odd trip working down to the small goods yard off Whitehall Rd adjacent to the holbeck triangle with waggons loaded with Steel.Farnley Bloke asked if anyone remembers the accident at Farnley Triangle in 1977, well I do FB, only too vividly.I was 17 at the time and on Holiday in Morecambe with my mum and dad, dad worked on the railway at Huddersfield at that time and we saw it the day after on the news.The "parcels" was, I'm pretty sure, one of the many empty stock workings back to Red Bank in Manchester from the newspaper traffic, the passenger train was a Liverpool to Hull Transpennine service worked by a class 126 Transpennine set and had been brought to a stand at the red protecting the junction for the Farnley branch.At this Junction there was a facing crossover to allow movements from the Leeds direction direct access into the sidings for the branch, the Manchester emptys were making good time behind a Brush type 4 (class 47) and he was pretty much on full chat having thrashed up the bank out of Leeds.For whatever reason, he had a green approaching the junction but the crossover was set to cross to the down line as if he was going into the sidings. If everything had been working properly he would have recieved a single amber at this point and that would have only been given after the points were set to run into the sidings, as it was, he recieved a green but was crossed onto the down main and hit the pennine head on at pretty much full power.The driver of the mail was Hudersfield man that had worked the train from York and was a collegue of my Fathers, He said as much as soon as he saw it on the news and a phone call the next day confirmed his fears, to say it put a bit of a damper on the holiday would be an under statement.The leading car and second vehical of the T.P.U. was stood in the yard at Farnley Junction for several weeks after the accident covered over with tarpaulins, I often think about it even now when I pass Dragon Bridge scrap yard on Whitehall Rd.Incidentally, I am sure I read somewhere that the tramway / light rail system that crossed over Dragon bridge was used at one time to transport either creosoted telegraph poles from a plant in the Wortley area to a depot on Geldard Rd - or it could have been to transport the creosote itself ??Thanks in advance for anymore info on this New Farnley branch

railnut

Post by railnut »

The New Farnley branch was indeed to the exensive sidings in the fireclay works, but has anyone realised that the line was intended to go all the way up the valley following todays ringroad and then up towards Pudsey and coming out at Quarry Gap in Laisterdyke. The earth works for the tunnel under Robin Lane were started and hence the deep ravine opposite the Railway pub. Also the reason why this pub is called the Railway when it never was near one. Sorry to be so late on this thread, but just come across it and thought this might be of interest.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

railnut wrote: The New Farnley branch was indeed to the exensive sidings in the fireclay works, but has anyone realised that the line was intended to go all the way up the valley following todays ringroad and then up towards Pudsey and coming out at Quarry Gap in Laisterdyke. The earth works for the tunnel under Robin Lane were started and hence the deep ravine opposite the Railway pub. Also the reason why this pub is called the Railway when it never was near one. Sorry to be so late on this thread, but just come across it and thought this might be of interest. Now THERE'S a coincidence, Railnut!Previously,on the 'Rose and Crown,Armley', thread, you mayremember that Sharon and Brian had to vacate the R&C after a long strugle to remain in tenancy.They took over the empty Railway Pub on Littlemoor Roadin Pudsey about 2 weeks ago after being offered the tenancythere. (A different holding company,before you ask!)I asked why they called it'The Railway',having no apparentstation close by and they weren't sure either! Mystery solved by a gentleman called Railnut! Thanks mate!Quite frankly,the pub is a bit off the beaten track(!) and with itbeing closed for a while, things are a bit slow till word getsaround again.Considering how they did so well from scratch at the Rose And Crown, I'm sure things will improve for themcustomerwise,soon, so May I ask the good posters onSecret Leeds and those who are Pudsey dwellers,to please pop in to the 'Railway' and give 'em your support?The premises are far superior to their last tenancy and shouldsoon be on top line again.Thanks in anticipation!Arry