Railway in New Farnley

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

This is what I have on them, sorry to bore the pants off everyone else!DOWNS FAMILY HISTORYFor some reason I can't check the details on the Census, am not getting info if I try.1851. North Bierley, Bradford     Long Row (Not sure who these four people are)William Downs                 Head    m 64        Grinder                     born RotherhamRuth                                 Wife     m        66                                     " Swail Dale                                                                                        (is now Swaledale N Yorks)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Frederick Downs                Head m    31         Moulder                 born Low MoorMartha                             Wife    m         29                                         Bradford------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ann Downs    (Benjamin's Sister) born 1861     died 1862 March 1/4 @ Keighley-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1861 Census                    Keighley    Spring Head     (Fred's Parents)Jonas Downs                    Head m     33         Agricultural Labourer born ThorntonSally                                Wife    m         33 Housewife                         DenholmeBenjamin                         Son    Un     5         Scholar                                 -do-John                                 " "     3             "                 born HortonPaulina                             Daur                 2                                "    Keighley    Ann                                     " 1 month "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1871 Census         Thornton - Alderscholes - Farn House (?) (Fred's Parents)Jonas Downs                    Head m     42         Farmer of 14 Acres     ThorntonSally                                Wife    m         43                                     DenholmeBenjamin                         Son    um    15         Stone Quarry man             "John                                 " "     13         Worsted Weaver         Gt. HortonJoseph                                " "     8                                         KeighleyAnnie                                Daur                 6                                            "Frank                                Son             4                                         ThorntonFoster                                 " 2 "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1881 Census     Thornton    Kipping Farm HouseBenjamin Downs             Head    m     25         Farm Labourer         ThorntonEllen                                Wife     m             21                                                                                                            Titchingham NorfolkFrederick Henry                 Son             2 months                             Thornton     This llittle one is your Gt. Grandad------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Haven't been able to find them yet on 1991 Census------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1901 Census - you will note they lived at Back Lane (where Pauline lives)Benjamin Downs             Head m    45         Farmer living on own A/c born Bfd. Ellen                                Wife    m         41                                             NorfolkFredk H                            Son     um 20         Iron worker                             Bfd.Herbert                                " " 18         ? Forge Labourer                         ?Emma                             Daur     "        13     Woollen Weaver                 LeedsWillie                                Son     " 12 "Frank                                 " 10 "Maggie                             Daur                 4                                                 "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Frederick Henry was born in the first quarter of 1881     - ref     9b 203 or 205-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Other information:-1828 Jonas    Christened 19 April 1829Parents John and MaryJohn and Mary Illingworth married 1826     John born 1793 ?                                            Think - Mary born 8 Sept. 1804 Christened 28 Oct 1804                                             Not too sure on this.

weenie

Post by weenie »

[quotenick="FarnleyBloke"]Squatch, my first year there was all boys and strangely enough i enjoyed it more than when we had girls!! (They always seemed to want to learn!!)quote]i went to farnley when the gilrs started and i did not learn all of the time, i spent it down the Forge, in woods etc and down the ditch loli was Rowena

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

I look forward to more on the groundwork photographs. Depending on the size of the tunnel, the excavations may have exposed the entrance to the Ashfield Dayhole?Do you think I could pop into Lettershop for a peep at them, sometime? I'll have a word with our cheif exec. He owns the land Lettershop is built on. Before this site we used to be on Geldard Road, W A Smith Leeds Ltd. Big printers. We have photos of the old original Print shop (1900's), photos from the 60's/70's on Geldard Road and photos from 1990's when we started to excavate our present Farnley site, to build our works. There is a photo in reception of the land as we we're building but I suspect he has a whole load more as it is a family business dating back to the 1800's. All the family are Leeds folk and the business is originated in Leeds. 'll have a scout around and let you know, probably in the new year. I'll see if I can get ya a snoop around.

Curlew

Post by Curlew »

anthonydna wrote: This is what I have on them, sorry to bore the pants off everyone else!DOWNS FAMILY HISTORYFor some reason I can't check the details on the Census, am not getting info if I try.1851. North Bierley, Bradford     Long Row (Not sure who these four people are)William Downs                 Head    m 64        Grinder                     born RotherhamRuth                                 Wife     m        66                                     " Swail Dale                                                                                        (is now Swaledale N Yorks)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Frederick Downs                Head m    31         Moulder                 born Low MoorMartha                             Wife    m         29                                         Bradford------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ann Downs    (Benjamin's Sister) born 1861     died 1862 March 1/4 @ Keighley-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1861 Census                    Keighley    Spring Head     (Fred's Parents)Jonas Downs                    Head m     33         Agricultural Labourer born ThorntonSally                                Wife    m         33 Housewife                         DenholmeBenjamin                         Son    Un     5         Scholar                                 -do-John                                 " "     3             "                 born HortonPaulina                             Daur                 2                                "    Keighley    Ann                                     " 1 month "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1871 Census         Thornton - Alderscholes - Farn House (?) (Fred's Parents)Jonas Downs                    Head m     42         Farmer of 14 Acres     ThorntonSally                                Wife    m         43                                     DenholmeBenjamin                         Son    um    15         Stone Quarry man             "John                                 " "     13         Worsted Weaver         Gt. HortonJoseph                                " "     8                                         KeighleyAnnie                                Daur                 6                                            "Frank                                Son             4                                         ThorntonFoster                                 " 2 "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1881 Census     Thornton    Kipping Farm HouseBenjamin Downs             Head    m     25         Farm Labourer         ThorntonEllen                                Wife     m             21                                                                                                            Titchingham NorfolkFrederick Henry                 Son             2 months                             Thornton     This llittle one is your Gt. Grandad------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Haven't been able to find them yet on 1991 Census------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1901 Census - you will note they lived at Back Lane (where Pauline lives)Benjamin Downs             Head m    45         Farmer living on own A/c born Bfd. Ellen                                Wife    m         41                                             NorfolkFredk H                            Son     um 20         Iron worker                             Bfd.Herbert                                " " 18         ? Forge Labourer                         ?Emma                             Daur     "        13     Woollen Weaver                 LeedsWillie                                Son     " 12 "Frank                                 " 10 "Maggie                             Daur                 4                                                 "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Frederick Henry was born in the first quarter of 1881     - ref     9b 203 or 205-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Other information:-1828 Jonas    Christened 19 April 1829Parents John and MaryJohn and Mary Illingworth married 1826     John born 1793 ?                                            Think - Mary born 8 Sept. 1804 Christened 28 Oct 1804                                             Not too sure on this. Thanks very much for this. Unfortunately, the person I'm after does not seem to feature in your list.The person I'm looking for is a Joseph Downs, who married Ellen Hanson (the photographer's daughter) in 1890 at St. Michael's Church, Farnley, (suggesting that Joseph Downs was a Farnley lad).

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I recall a Joseph Downs somewhere in the family will dig the other stuff I have out!

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Found this from an old aunt !""I am fairly sure that your gran was the first one born at New Farnley, the ones before were born at LowMoor, BradfordMy grandad Alfred worked in the Forge in Bradford, don't know exactly what happened, but could be the one in Low Moor shut down or what, but there was quite an invasion to New Farnley, seemed that most of the families living at Moor Top and into the Villlage came from Low Moor and into the village.Low Moor Side and Long Row etc. were all brought from Low Moor area of Bradford it would seem, as there are streets of that name there.You will learn more later I don't doubt.As for your Downs family, it would seem that Frederick H Downs and Ellen Widdop married in 1914 January Quarter, at Bramley.The 1881 Census gives Fred as Son of Benjamin and Ellen who was born at Thornton, Yorkshire (Bradford)Street address is Kipping Farm House. Think he must have been the eldest as only him in family.1901 Census there is an Ann Downs age 42 born about 1839 she is wife of Benjamin of Thornton, street addresswas given as School Green Houses Thornton and they have Arthur aged 5, George 14, Henry E 7 and John Wm 181901 Census for grandad's family now living in the civil parish of Farnley St. Michael. There is Benjamin 45, Ellen 41, Emma 15, Frank 10, Fred H 20, Herbert 18, Maggie 4 and Willie    12.There is a Marriage Index for 1874 April Quarter in Bradford for Benjamin Downs1871 Census for Joseph Downs age 57 born abt. 1814 Wife Sarah A he was born at North Bierley - Old Hill Topthink this must be part of your family. harriett A 22 born N.Bierley, James 17 (Iron Puddler) born Wyke, Joseph born N. Bierley 57 an Iron Moulder, Sarah A 45 born Bfd.Individual Record for Jonas Downs Christened 19 lApril 1829 Thornton by Bradford whose mother was Mary, Father John.Another Jonas Downs born 21 Aug 1821 Christened 15 Nov 1821 Kipping Independent-Nc, Thornton by BradfordFather William and mother MaryAnother Jonas Downes birth about 1694 in West Riding, Yorkshire Marriage to Ann Godfrey on 30 April 1714Joseph Downs Marriage to Hannah Watson 30 Mar 1812 BradfordJoseph Downs BNorn 20 Sept 1826 Christened 24 Nov 1826 at Kipping Independent - Nc (Non Conformist?)Father Wm and Mother MaryJoseph Downs Marriage to Hannah Laycock on 8 May 1764 in Bradford Birth of Joseph Downes abotu 1734 of Thornton YorkshireWilliam Downs Christened 4 Feb 1827 Thornton by Bradford Father John Mother MaryWilliam Downs Birth 5 Mar 1819 Christening 22 Apr 1819 Kipping Independent-Nc Father Wm Mother MaryWilliam Downs Birth 1826 of Yorkshire Death 3 Dec. 1878 Spouse ElizabethAnn Downs b 1861 died 1862 March 1/4 Keighley (Benjamins sister)1861 census Keighley Spring Head Jonas Downs 33, Sally 35, Benjamin 5, John (?) 3, and two I cannot read could be Pauline 2, and another about 1 month.1871 Keighley Jonas Downs 42, Sallly, 43, Benjamin 15, John 13, Joseph 8, Annie 6, Frank 4 Foster (?) 21881 Kipping Farm (?) Thornton Benjamin, Ellen land your Grandad Seems Ellen came from Norfolk, she was just 21 then.1901 CensusFarnley St. Michael LeedsBACK LANE Benjamin Downs 45, Ellen, 41 Fredk.H 20, Herbert 18, Emma 13, Willie (?) 12, Frank 10 and Maggie 4_________Some Downes - Joseph Christened 12 April 1782 in Bfd. Joseph Downes Birth abt. 1734 of Thornton    " "     Christening 23 Aug 1842 Wibsey, BradfordDowns - Joseph Christening 23 Dec 1676 Keighley Father Robert             William     "         4 Aug 1805 Bradford Father Richard                    " "         14 Aug 1832 Wibsey, Bradford Parents John and Mary AnnLots on info on the other side of my family Widdop, if that overlaps with your research, the lived around long lane too.

Curlew

Post by Curlew »

LeeJ wrote: I look forward to more on the groundwork photographs. Depending on the size of the tunnel, the excavations may have exposed the entrance to the Ashfield Dayhole?Do you think I could pop into Lettershop for a peep at them, sometime? I'll have a word with our cheif exec. He owns the land Lettershop is built on. Before this site we used to be on Geldard Road, W A Smith Leeds Ltd. Big printers. We have photos of the old original Print shop (1900's), photos from the 60's/70's on Geldard Road and photos from 1990's when we started to excavate our present Farnley site, to build our works. There is a photo in reception of the land as we we're building but I suspect he has a whole load more as it is a family business dating back to the 1800's. All the family are Leeds folk and the business is originated in Leeds. 'll have a scout around and let you know, probably in the new year. I'll see if I can get ya a snoop around. Thanks very much for that. Please let your C.E. know that the request comes from someone who lived in New Farnley and it is to assist genuine, academic research.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Im not sure if this throws any further light on the Fireclay Railway - but it is marked.
Attachments
__TFMF_dpz52d454uqivozjjlwddenu_c8d5dba9-ee29-4613-ad27-4a14e1fdbf98_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_dpz52d454uqivozjjlwddenu_c8d5dba9-ee29-4613-ad27-4a14e1fdbf98_0_main.jpg (623.4 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
Industria Omnia Vincit

Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Looks like the site of Farnley sheds could be gone forever. A planning application has been submitted for 156 house and 37 flats on the site.http://planningapplications.leeds.gov.u ... NW3JB0FZ00
Farnley born & bred

Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Looks like the site of Farnley sheds could be gone forever. A planning application has been submitted for 156 house and 37 flats on the site.http://planningapplications.leeds.gov.u ... JB0FZ00I'd add a pic, but the uploader seems to be broken!
Farnley born & bred