Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Re: Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Post by BLAKEY »

Today, Monday 11th January, I especially travelled by train from Headingley to Leeds in order to sample the new exit for myself. I was very impressed indeed and I think its a brilliantly conceived idea. The descent by the smoothest escalators I've ever ridden afforded a grand view of the river, and the exits at the lower level are tidy and most useful. I strolled through the walkways to reach Water Lane and then caught the number 1 bus back to Headingley. I've no doubt the new entrance/exit will be a boon to many who work or live in the the revitalised and very pleasant inner Holbeck area. After avidly viewing the regular pictures by Leodian and tykebhoy during construction it was a revelation to experience the new facility for real.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Is that a Damascian conversion Blakey given your previous comments on the architecture? ;)

Also thanks for the photography credit but I only posted the one not particularly good internal view of the new ticket barrier shortly before Christmas. Are you thinking of the photo's by Tigerman on Skyscraper city which Uncle Mick has been providing links to? I do however second the praise of Leodian's sterling work in documenting the building project from start to finish.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

liits

Post by liits »

tyke bhoy wrote:......... I do however second the praise of Leodian's sterling work in documenting the building project from start to finish.
I second that.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your kind comments about the photos that I took. :)

I agree Blakey that, as you say, it is an impressive structure. When it is all finally finished I assume that the outside deck area above the river will be accessible. Probably a bit small though for much in the way of outside furniture such as benches, but it could be a nice place for people to take in the Sun (as long as they don't fall in!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

tyke bhoy - I was tickled pink by that gentle but fully justified little "nudge" but my complimentary comments were in general about this excellent new facility - I still think that the external appearance is, no doubt of necessity, a bit overbearing and will have detracted from the pleasure of those living in the nearest apartments - although again, now its completed and gilded, it does look much better.
I thought your picture of the interior was excellent and really woke me up - until you posted that view I was under the impression that only the massive outer structure was nearing completion and had no idea at all that any fitting out" had been done, let alone that opening was imminent !!
By the way, can anyone please tell me how to put smileys in the posts on the this Forum ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Blakey :)

You ask "By the way, can anyone please tell me how to put smileys in the posts on the this Forum ??". Use the 'Post Reply' function (not the Quick Reply) and that will bring up the available smilies. Then click on that/those you want and it/they should then be in your post. I hope that makes sense ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote:Hi Blakey :)

You ask "By the way, can anyone please tell me how to put smileys in the posts on the this Forum ??". Use the 'Post Reply' function (not the Quick Reply) and that will bring up the available smilies. Then click on that/those you want and it/they should then be in your post. I hope that makes sense ;).
Many thanks Leodian for that quick and most useful reply :) :) I felt sure that I HAD been able to attach them at one time but now that you've identified the subleties all is well :D :D

rodleymike

Post by rodleymike »

does anyone else seem to think that the escalators are painfully slow?

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

rodleymike wrote:does anyone else seem to think that the escalators are painfully slow?
you about to get onto a train- you need to be acclimatized to traveling slowly :D :D :D

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

rodleymike - I feel sure that the impression of slow movement that you have is an illusion fostered by the extreme smoothness of the escalators - I don't think I've ever ridden on any better ones and they seem to operate with Swiss watch precision and silence. :) :)