Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
dogduke

Re: Leeds Station southern entrance plans approved

Post by dogduke »

On a Tuesday I visit someone in Halton Moor and you get a good view of the new
incinerater.
They do seem very similar in shape,is it the same architect and are they working to the correct plans?

My wife reckons the time to worry is when you see smoke coming from the LSSE
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

or hear platform announcements from the incinerator? ;)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a post on Feb 26 2014 I put an enlargement of part of a photo I took on Feb 25 2014 showing what seemed to be erosion on the bank of the River Aire shortly below the LSSE work. That was still the same until I noticed on Oct 1 2015 that work was going on with soil being put there (I put a photo of that in a post on Oct 2 but that is currently one of the photos that are not available). I go to the site around once week and when I was recently there I noticed that the remedial work had gone and the site looks even more eroded than it had done! I assume the soil has been washed away by rain and /or strong wind, as if the river has been high enough to wash the soil away I think the news of such a high river level would have been reported. I have repeated here the photo I took on Oct 1 2015 and have added zoomed-in ones that I took on Oct 22 and on Dec 8 2015. I hope the LSSE survives better!
View taken on Oct 1 2015.
View taken on Oct 1 2015.
0337R.jpg (147.9 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
View taken on Oct 22 2015.
View taken on Oct 22 2015.
400R.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
View taken on Dec 8 2015.
View taken on Dec 8 2015.
537R.jpg (132.33 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

More photos of the LSSE from tigerman

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=2012

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It's now possible again to walk in the Dark Arches and see the river where the work on the LSSE has almost finished. These are 3 photos (reduced in size and quality) that I took today (Dec 10 2015). The first shows a view along the Dark Arches form the Granary Wharf end. There are glass (?) plates and a hand rail by the path to/from the LSSE but I wonder how long it will be before someone accidently or drunkenly falls into the river? I could not tell if there is a anything else to stop them falling in if someone falls over there. The second is a view of the River Aire from the Dark Arches that has not been publicly visible for some while now. The third photo is somewhat obscured by things but the escalators can be seen and also (on the left) an already working train arrivals/departures electronic notice board.
View along the Dark Arches from the Granary Wharf end of the LSSE work on Dec 10 2015.
View along the Dark Arches from the Granary Wharf end of the LSSE work on Dec 10 2015.
564R.jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 8002 times
View in the Dark Arches at the LSSE site work on Dec 10 2015.
View in the Dark Arches at the LSSE site work on Dec 10 2015.
566R.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 8002 times
View from the Dark Arches of the LSSE work on Dec 10 2015.
View from the Dark Arches of the LSSE work on Dec 10 2015.
567R.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 8002 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Three astonishing and most informative pictures Leodian - thank you. What astounds me, as someone who nowadays rarely walks south of the river, is how much advanced work has been done "under wraps" - I was under the impression that the enormous outer shell of the entrance was the only thing that was progressing so far - do you know when the facility is due or likely to open please ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Blakey :). Thanks for your kind comment.

I don't know when it is due to open but when I was there on December 10 it seemed to me that there was only finishing-off work needed doing. I would guess that it will open very soon.

Talking of the photos that I took on December 10 I've realised that the one of the view looking along the Dark Arches tunnel may give an impression that the work goes all the way to Neville Street, but it only goes by the old foot/road bridge and just beyond.

One thing that has always amused me is that the site is called the Leeds Station Southern Entrance (bold for emphasis) but it will also be used as an exit (well I assume it will!).

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I don't know how recently it was updated but this suggests next month http://www.wymetro.com/news/projects/pr ... -entrance/ and I don't think its too inaccurate even if a few "snagging" jobs will be ongoing.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:I don't know how recently it was updated but this suggests next month http://www.wymetro.com/news/projects/pr ... -entrance/ and I don't think its too inaccurate even if a few "snagging" jobs will be ongoing.
Thanks for that link tyke bhoy :). My assumption that the opening must be soon therefore seems right.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Taken last night 16/12/15 on my mobile a view I don't think we have seen before. The entrance/exit from the existing 'bridge' and probably more proof that opening next month is not overly optimistic.

Yes Leodian the E could and will be exit too ;)
Attachments
20151216lsse.jpg
20151216lsse.jpg (917.28 KiB) Viewed 7713 times