Missing Railway links from Church Fenton to Harrogate, and Leeds to Wetherby

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I have been away for a couple of weeks and have only just seen Phil's map of 9 May. I do not think that there was access to the Batnbow site from the Wetherby Branch nor any line bordering Manston Lane.About 250/300 yards towards Garforth from the Wetherby Line junction there was access from the Garforth bound line to sidings which served not only the coal yard now buried under the Crossgates Centre Car Park via a bridge over the Wetherby branch but also the ROF, through gates I believe. Some of these tracks are still visible in the undergrowth.On a slightly different topic somebody has been digging substantial holes on the opposite side of the railway tracks to the old ROF. When I last saw them they were quite full of water but the existence of coal seams quite close to the surface was evident. I think the holes are only visible from a passing train

blueboy

Post by blueboy »

Am new to the forum, and was just wondering if anyone can help with info on a statement made by one of my colleagues. He reckons that when it was opened, the stretch of line between Church Fenton and Micklefield was the longest in England (UK ?) without an intermediate station. Does anyone know whether this is true or not please ?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I had a look at The Harrogate Barber gasworks tunnel portal, and got some pics with the history of the line here if anyone wants a look.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 41/detail/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_d wrote: Just after Scholes station or what used to be called the 'Buffers' is the only new housing to take up the old line between Crossgates and the A64. Your right Chameleon there is some newish water course/drainage that comes to the surface near Chippy's quarry opposite Stanks. There's only a few houses built in Thorner blocking the line too. I seem to recall the old railway bridge still crossing the main street in Thorner in the 80's. Can anyone remember it as well. I keep wondering if I imagine that. I'm sure we used to ride our bikes under there. Sort of related - there's an article in the Leeds Weekly News today talking of a campain to make Chippy's lake at the old (Scholes) brickworks into a fishing haven. Not a bad ides but I think the people of Scholes will be surprised to find it has moved to Stanks according to the paper!

w41tzer

Post by w41tzer »

tom d and edgy, if you cycle over to collingham you can indeed still see the house shown above in the middle of a newer estate, the small path near it crosses a stream with a bridge built on old rails,

scrabbler

Post by scrabbler »

July 18th 2011Interesting to read all these comments , I help in the Archive of a Railway and recentlly we had donated a lot of luggage receipts , internal memos , occurence books and other Interesting info from Stutton Station which closed early 1900's and was on either Sherburn in Elmet to Wetherby or Church Fenton to Wetherby line .Station House is still there as a private house but you can see it is an old Railway Structure . The line went towards Tadcaster and if I remember correctly Thorp Arch . Most of the info relates to 1892/94 but one book dates from the 1850's . We have since found out the Station Master Mr Mortimer was the only one armed Station Master on the Railways and retired late 1890's . During this time they had around 16-20 train movements per day . Although I like most of you have passed the sign leading to Stutton many times but never paid any attention because nobody goes there unless they live there . Will check my details next time I'm in Archive to confirm my memory .Brian

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@scrabbler:Have a look through here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/lwrg/

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

The other day I bought a new publication in the Railway Memories series, No 24, covering Lines around Harrogate & Wetherby by Stephen Chapman. This includes photographs taken on all the lines radiating from Harrogate & Wetherby including a good number of "New" (to me at least) photographs taken between Wetherby & Crossgates.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

TomD wrote: finished early today so i went for an explore around my lost leeds/wetherby track...a little boring at Linton! seems the bridge was an uninspired concrete number, Have explored at various times this year lengths of the Leeds-Wetherby line and enjoyed the footpath from whinmoor to scholes past the brickworks quarry. No signs of a Scholes marked brick for the collection though, but plenty of blue/green steel furnace slag in the path.Anyhowz today I found the bridge crossing over the wharfe at Collingham/Linton. The maps explain everything apart from levels. Firstly several round foundations to pillars for the bridge made of concrete piles? capped by iron rings are evident by the river which are a memory of the bridge.On the levels of the railway the line seems to be in a cutting south of the river (by the footpath car park. North of the river it seems to land on an embankment which at the golf club enables a roadway to go under the line.This kind of indicates a steep gradient from one side of the river to the other???Was it the case the bridge was built with a fair old gradient???

w41tzer

Post by w41tzer »

if you follow the track it drops down a lot as it approaches the waters edge, the opposing abutment remains are not very high and would suggest a low bridge, ok seeing as its not a naviagable river but not a steep incline, the iron rings are concrete filled it appears and probably so were the collumns above, if you look in some of the books on the subject there will undoubtably be a gradient plan, more than likely less steep than 1 in 60, lovely spot for a paddle in the summer though