Missing Railway links from Church Fenton to Harrogate, and Leeds to Wetherby

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
EmosLastKiss

Post by EmosLastKiss »

Thank you all for the links ^_^I live in the Swarcliffe area and I can always hear trains coming from the Crossgates way, so it got me very interested in where the train tracks were in Pendas.I've actually been down there with my friend lol it's soooo overgrown. We almost got stuck hehe.& that was years ago! I was in like .. year 5 or something in Primary School. I'm in High School now.I never knew there was a station! So amazing ..It doesn't look like there could've been XDSo i've been searrching all over the net for info today about when it was demolished etc. I'd love an old picture of the Pendas Way station =[ But can't find one anywhere.Gah, I wish I had been alive to ride on it. It would've been awesome XDI might walk down there and investigate soon ;DSo yeah, any info and pics would be much appreciated =]I reeaalllly wanna know more about where i live XD

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

It would be good to get that Wetherby line open again. I've walked it a few times & It is very overgrown. There's a bit about when it opened & shut herehttp://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Lee ... by.htmI've only seen one picture of Pendas station. I'll see if I can find it again.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

If you go past John Smeaton School (forget what street it's on) anout 200 yards or so on the left is the remails of an old bridge abutment. Find the same area on google earth and you can follow the line South to come rom the mainline out of Leeds. Follow it North and it goes through Thorner, Bardsey etc.Is this the same line to Wetherby?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

LS1 wrote: If you go past John Smeaton School (forget what street it's on) anout 200 yards or so on the left is the remails of an old bridge abutment. Find the same area on google earth and you can follow the line South to come rom the mainline out of Leeds. Follow it North and it goes through Thorner, Bardsey etc.Is this the same line to Wetherby? Yes It's the Wetherby line Lee. It meets a triangle near Wetherby. (I think it was the old Church Fenton-Harrogate line) Pendas field station was were the path cuts along the grass now. If you don't know were I mean I can put a google image up.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_d wrote: LS1 wrote: If you go past John Smeaton School (forget what street it's on) anout 200 yards or so on the left is the remails of an old bridge abutment. Find the same area on google earth and you can follow the line South to come rom the mainline out of Leeds. Follow it North and it goes through Thorner, Bardsey etc.Is this the same line to Wetherby? Yes It's the Wetherby line Lee. It meets a triangle near Wetherby. (I think it was the old Church Fenton-Harrogate line) Pendas field station was were the path cuts along the grass now. If you don't know were I mean I can put a google image up. I think I get you Phill, Was thinking about taking a walk up along there some time but it does seem to be pretty overgrown!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I think the most interesting bit is were the junction diverged just past Cross gates station. The cutting is quite deep and the remains of the over bridge into the yard at the back of the station pub are still there. apart from that there is a farmers occupation bridges towards Thorner but nothing else. There is a picture of the Junction here. Fairly complex it was.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigedgey/2 ... 4781620813    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_d wrote: oh bugger.      Quick, quick, check the skulls one - more news!

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

There is a an article about Penda's Way Station and a photograph of a train passing through in Martin Bairstow's book Railways Around Harrogate Volume 3. There are also photos of Bardsey, Collingham Bridge and Wetherby stations.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There have been repeated rumours of re-opening at least the Crossgate - Thorner part of this line in conjunction with a park and ride scheme on the A64 where the line used to pass under it.Obviously this far north nothing ever gets past the bean counters in Whitehall, but it would be a cracking idea. Leeds - Crossgates takes about 8 minutes by train, so the same again to a park and ride (total journey time around 15 minutes) would be miles quicker than the equivalent journey by car especially in the rush hours, plus it would keep 1000's of cars out of Leeds.There would be pathing issues on the Crossgates - Leeds section which already near capacity, but this could be easily resolved by re-quadrupling (is that a word?) the line from Neville Hill out past the junction. I would imagine those living on Pendas Way and surrounding areas might not be too happy either!It would have been a far better idea than the misguided busway.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

That'd be a great idea. I live in Scholes, and while Croggy isn't far, it'd be great to be able to get a train from the village.I've often wondered whether where the line ran through what is now Wetherby golf club (I think) was fenced off from the course, or whether the golfers had to take care of an unusal hazard. Or more likely I suppose, was the course created after the line shut.Anyhoo, great shame the line is shut, won't be holding my breath until it opens though!!!