Low Flying 747!

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
railnut

Post by railnut »

raveydavey wrote: As Terry says, the scheduled flights to Canada were usually a 747. To me a 747, because of its size, always looks like a lumbering giant when it goes in to land. After all, it is just above stalling speed at that stage, and it seems to have stopped! I well remember them as they passed over City Square it always seemed that it would knock off the adornments of the old Post Office building.Quite right that it re-fueled at brum, as the runway was long enough to let them land directly from Canada, but was not long enough to accomodate a fuel weight plus payload for a sfe take-off to go directly over the atlantic. Hence the future [pipedream] plans for LBA include for a second and longer runway.    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I remember the 747 as well. Am i mad in remembering a B17 sometime in the mid 80's?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

dogduke wrote: When working in the Knottingley area in the 70's Vulcan bombrs used to fly over very low - what a racket. Over that way they will have been "bombing" the power station at Ferrybridge. My in laws live at the top of the hill there and tell tales of Vulcans and later Tornado's flying at seemingly tree top height along the A1 (as was) and then screaming skyward having released their "bombs" as semi-regular training. For some reason this isn't allowed anymore...I'll bet a Vulcan going into a vertical full power climb would have been an impressive sight. Cardiarms wrote: I remember the 747 as well. Am i mad in remembering a B17 sometime in the mid 80's? Probably not - there have been all manner of charter flights featuring many different types of aircraft, from Concord all the way down.There was a Dakota (DC-3?) there a couple of years ago doing jollies over Leeds which was cited as the last chance to fly in one.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

railnut wrote: raveydavey wrote: As Terry says, the scheduled flights to Canada were usually a 747. To me a 747, because of its size, always looks like a lumbering giant when it goes in to land. After all, it is just above stalling speed at that stage, and it seems to have stopped! I well remember them as they passed over City Square it always seemed that it would knock off the adornments of the old Post Office building.Quite right that it re-fueled at brum, as the runway was long enough to let them land directly from Canada, but was not long enough to accomodate a fuel weight plus payload for a sfe take-off to go directly over the atlantic. Hence the future [pipedream] plans for LBA include for a second and longer runway.     In 1986 I was at the Sight and Sound College on the top floor but one of the Yorkshire Post Building, just the canteen above us if, memory serves. I remember the Wardair jumbo jet used to fly so low over the city, it looked like it was coming straight at us!!! Mondays I think it was?Han.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

morleyhall

Post by morleyhall »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who remembers this. I was telling my kids about this recently, predictably they didn't really bellieve me, they do now after reading this thread.I would have been about 13 at the time and, I'm sure I recall it having the landing gear down as it flew over City Mills in Morley towards Middleton Road. I also have a very vague recollection of Concorde doing a low fly along Queen Street in Morley around the same time.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

raveydavey wrote: dogduke wrote: When working in the Knottingley area in the 70's Vulcan bombrs used to fly over very low - what a racket. Over that way they will have been "bombing" the power station at Ferrybridge. My in laws live at the top of the hill there and tell tales of Vulcans and later Tornado's flying at seemingly tree top height along the A1 (as was) and then screaming skyward having released their "bombs" as semi-regular training. For some reason this isn't allowed anymore...I'll bet a Vulcan going into a vertical full power climb would have been an impressive sight. last chance to fly in one. I've been told about that activity too.Don't forget that Finningley was a Vulcan base for a few years (in fact 'XH558', the flying 'Delta Lady', was based there for a while too!!)Full power climbs in Vulcan???, go yonder onto 'YouTube' my friend!!!UP!!!!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wSNxC4P ... relatedAND DOWN!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwAacTk ... relatedAND ROLL!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwOowyoN3o (almost)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GfXQ2w ... re=related (oh yes!!)

SPOTON

Post by SPOTON »

HiCame across your post while searching for the video clip that Look North played either that Sunday evening or Monday 5th. I was on that 1st flight.I was 16 and simply mad on aviation - wanted to be an airline pilot so badly. Dad bought me and a mate of mine the £30ish ticket each to get us on that plane. We later learned that there were so many people wanting to go, Yorkshire Post decided to put on a second flight!So fantastic to fly, for the first time ever, in 747 as well, over my home county and town (Huddersfield) - we were sat mid starboard wing so didn't quite have the best view but I clearly remember seeing Castle Hill and Emily Moor.We flew up the west coast of Lancashire and Cumbria then turned right over Solway Firth and headed back down over the Yorkshire moors to land at LBA. Even managed to get a look-in on the Flight Deck - so small but what a thrill at 16yrs of age!I remember we came away with a certificate but stupidly, I think I've thrown all my aviation books, maps and stuff away in a previous house move many years ago. Still, the memories last. For a while, I remember WardAir 818/9 flew from LBA each Monday from then on between Leeds - Birmingham and then on to Toronto - I used to listen out on airband radio every week for that strong, Canadian voice, as I did for Qantas 09 & 10 - out of Manchester to Bangkok on a Friday or a Sunday I think. Good old days!So, if anyone can help me get a copy of that clip that Look North aired that night of the Jumbo approaching Leeds Bradford while playing Mark Knopfler's Telegraph Road, please get in touch!Many thanks and best regards. Paul [email protected]

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds SPOTON i hope someone can help you.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

trophy

Post by trophy »

dogduke wrote: Not747 related but-Concord flying low near Jimmy's,was in between the Shakespearemulti storey blocks and the noise was horrendous.When working in the Knottingley area in the 70's Vulcan bombrs used to fly over very low - what a racket. or a fantastic noise depending on your point of view.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

trophy wrote: dogduke wrote: Not747 related but-Concord flying low near Jimmy's,was in between the Shakespearemulti storey blocks and the noise was horrendous.When working in the Knottingley area in the 70's Vulcan bombrs used to fly over very low - what a racket. or a fantastic noise depending on your point of view. A little off topic but relevant to the last post - My favourite beast, saw it over Church Fenton once, once heard - never forgotten. The one remaining serviceable Vulcan XH558 has two years flying remaining before finally landing for ever.Have a look at this - you need your sound turned all the way up1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djd1pPQZ_LE