Leeds lost locos

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

AngryofMayfair wrote: Here's a pic that I managed to dig up of the old railway lines and a steam engine in Hunslet - somewhere south of Dewsbury Rd if I remember correctly - c 1971... Hi, can't see your pic. Try attaching it again.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

AngryofMayfair

Post by AngryofMayfair »

Here's a pic that I managed to dig up of the old railway lines and a steam engine in Hunslet - somewhere south of Dewsbury Rd if I remember correctly - c 1971...
Attachments
__TFMF_x4tpqofur2lx1xjgryxxj5yi_b97177f2-5d83-4b5d-ae8e-45df8a0d4b92_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_x4tpqofur2lx1xjgryxxj5yi_b97177f2-5d83-4b5d-ae8e-45df8a0d4b92_0_main.jpg (368.43 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

railnut

Post by railnut »

Thats the Middleton Railway terminus site Angry. The house gable end is still there on Moor Road

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Correct me if I'm wrong railnut but, I have a feeling that the Sentinal in that photo was the first thing to be worked on the Middleton after it passed into preservation and, as such, that photo could well be to mark the first day of new ownership of the railway.

railnut

Post by railnut »

Think you are right BigN and those tracks in the forground were the original ones that went down to the river over Hunslet Moor. The alignment is now under the M621. Traces of it can still be seen further on as it crossed Jack Lane at Pottery Fields.    

JackLaneLad

Post by JackLaneLad »

I walked up & down that line many times as a lad, coming from Hunslet,and sliding down the pit heaps at the side of the line.We called it "Mumbles" railway.Only found out why recently, when I noticed a carriage had"Swansea & Mumbles" on the side in an old photo.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Something turned up on another thread which may be of interest here: The first ever painting of a railway locomotive was by a Leeds artist George Walker who painted the Mathew Murray built loco Salamanca operating on the Middleton Colliery railway in 1814.see http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RAblenkinsop.htm
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks, I love little nuggets like that.

weenie

Post by weenie »

Whilst on my holiday this past week in North Wales, i scattered my dad's ashes at Blaenau Ffestiniog, i thought i would take a few pics of the sign on the steam train for you guys

weenie

Post by weenie »

trying to upload pics