The dreaded FIRST BUS!

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I've also noticed that now the 95 and 92 have been removed, in Firsts summer timetable, that the Unilink buses on those routes have replaced buses on other routes.Since the Unilink buses in the main are old and decrepit are the routes on which they are now running getting a rum deal?On a more heart-warming note have we seen the news that First in Plymouth are bending over backwards to accommodate a moggy that daily rides their number 3 service
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

No response yet...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Here's another 'first' best laugh -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4224.jpAnd a flashing red light to tell the driver what he already knows - that will reall alter the driving habits of those who need to.We of course all know how to make everybody's rides smoother, what ever the transport mode - mend the pot-holes, properly, and get rid of the speed bumps now so badly deformed by the passage of busses! These marvelous and expensive incumbrances given to us so long ago seem to be becoming a thing of the past, certainly not maintained and new ones rarely seen, I was recently taken over the ones by me in a taxi - as he reached some 45mph (limit 30 of course) I did comment to which the reply was 'more comfortable' He was right, never flt one of them!Incidentally, an national enviromental audit some time ago, showed that the breaking and accelorating in these traffic calming areas increased vehicle emmissions by an average of 30%.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

chameleon wrote: Here's another 'first' best laugh -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4224.jpAnd a flashing red light to tell the driver what he already knows - that will reall alter the driving habits of those who need to.We of course all know how to make everybody's rides smoother, what ever the transport mode - mend the pot-holes, properly, and get rid of the speed bumps now so badly deformed by the passage of busses! These marvelous and expensive incumbrances given to us so long ago seem to be becoming a thing of the past, certainly not maintained and new ones rarely seen, I was recently taken over the ones by me in a taxi - as he reached some 45mph (limit 30 of course) I did comment to which the reply was 'more comfortable' He was right, never flt one of them!Incidentally, an national enviromental audit some time ago, showed that the breaking and accelorating in these traffic calming areas increased vehicle emmissions by an average of 30%. Well , I know better than to say "I've heard the lot now" because there is always another unbelievable sensation in the pipeline.I just hope the idealistic Mr. David Alexander will be purchasing the DELUXE version of the satellite driver monitoring equipment. - the de-luxe version is the one that also allows for latecoming passengers with no money or passes ready, emigration size buggies packed to the gunwhales with belongings, endless streams of pedestrians using crossings while the "red man" is showing, bus stops full of taxis/PH cars blatantly and illegally touting for trade, and "I'm only going a couple of stops" clowns standing in the gangways/doorways bringing the job to a virtual standstill - and lets not forget our favourite regular traffic jams of which the schedules folks seem blissfully unaware , just occasionally allowing an extra few minutes here and there rather like the Queen's benevolent Maunday Money. This will no longer matter of course because the de-luxe edition of the new technology will re-schedule all the buses and reprint the timetables so that people know exactly what is what - and then the drivers can operate the bus to Advanced Drivibg Test standards at all times. Why has no one thought of this brilliant "cure all" system before ??I know this sounds sarcastic - but it isn't - and its amazing how many of my age say how glad they are that they are not on the job any longer - and I was in the industry for 44 years and loved every aspect of it (except being an inspector) and enjoyed doing it properly without electronic supervision. I despair.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: chameleon wrote: Here's another 'first' best laugh -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4224.jpAnd a flashing red light to tell the driver what he already knows - that will reall alter the driving habits of those who need to.We of course all know how to make everybody's rides smoother, what ever the transport mode - mend the pot-holes, properly, and get rid of the speed bumps now so badly deformed by the passage of busses! These marvelous and expensive incumbrances given to us so long ago seem to be becoming a thing of the past, certainly not maintained and new ones rarely seen, I was recently taken over the ones by me in a taxi - as he reached some 45mph (limit 30 of course) I did comment to which the reply was 'more comfortable' He was right, never flt one of them!Incidentally, an national enviromental audit some time ago, showed that the breaking and accelorating in these traffic calming areas increased vehicle emmissions by an average of 30%. That's knackered the high speed run back to the depot after the last jouney! Driving back "PRIVATE" was one of the great pleasures of the job especially after a late turn! Then sitting in the queue for the bus wash! I can remember when working for LCT in the early 70's that if your bus broke down there was horror on the face of the desk inspector if you reported lost mileage.It was unheard of! Then when Yorkshire Rider took over they didn't give a damn as you were saving them money if you didn't run your journey! Those were the days!
ex-Armley lad

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Si wrote: As an aside, when I worked in design, our print production manager was a gent of far-Eastern origin. He was known as "The King of Cyan!" Did you hear my groan all the way from Cyan? :-)

Si

Post by Si »

Patexpat wrote: Si wrote: As an aside, when I worked in design, our print production manager was a gent of far-Eastern origin. He was known as "The King of Cyan!" Did you hear my groan all the way from Cyan? :-) Yes!!!

Si

Post by Si »

chameleon wrote: Here's another 'first' best laugh -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 4224.jpAnd a flashing red light to tell the driver what he already knows - that will reall alter the driving habits of those who need to.We of course all know how to make everybody's rides smoother, what ever the transport mode - mend the pot-holes, properly, and get rid of the speed bumps now so badly deformed by the passage of busses! These marvelous and expensive incumbrances given to us so long ago seem to be becoming a thing of the past, certainly not maintained and new ones rarely seen, I was recently taken over the ones by me in a taxi - as he reached some 45mph (limit 30 of course) I did comment to which the reply was 'more comfortable' He was right, never flt one of them!Incidentally, an national enviromental audit some time ago, showed that the breaking and accelorating in these traffic calming areas increased vehicle emmissions by an average of 30%. What an incredible waste of money, Chameleon! When I first read it, I had to check the date thinking it was April Fool's Day! Or was the whole thing lifted from an episode of Thunderbirds? I too despair, Blakey. Wasting money and treating your staff like morons, all in one go! Doesn't anyone know how to manage a business properly any more?As for speed bumps, not only do they increase emmissions and fuel consumption, but there's also the increased noise pollution. I wouldn't want to live opposite one. "Calmness" reduced!!! I don't think I've ever seen anything in print which proves that they actually do reduce accidents. People who drive like k***heads will always do so, regardless of the road conditions.Rant complete!    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'As for speed bumps, not only do they increase emmissions and fuel consumption, but there's also the increased noise pollution. I wouldn't want to live opposite one. "Calmness" reduced!!! I don't think I've ever seen anything in print which proves that they actually do reduce accidents. People who drive like k***heads will always do so' - There were a couple of nasty accidents on the estate distributor road (certainly not a busy one), and there have been many more since the speed bumps and these fall into two groups:Vehicles including uncontrolled kids on bikes, failing to stop or give way when they should when leaving side roads and,Side-scrapes to vehicles from buses: The cause of these is simple - in their wisdom and to enforce buses to drive slowly, a second 'bump' in the shape of a triangle with a prominent apex is constructed next to the kerb to give the vehile a nasty jolt. Not a problem buses simply move further over and across the centre line to mis them leaving precious little room for a moderate car to pass at all and those who quite reasonbly approach the bumps square on are dead meat against a bus

Si

Post by Si »

Hmmm...nasty. If there is a genuine concern about the level of driving skills on the buses, at least they could be honest about it, rather than dressing it up as a customer service/safety issue. Why spend a fortune on a "spy in the bus" when you could have a simple drivers' meeting? And isn't that why they employ inspectors?