Another Leeds transport first.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

September 26th 1879: The world's first railway dining car was introduced in Britain on the line between London and Leeds. Another first for Leeds.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Perhaps the first in Britain but not the world...http://www.foodreference.com/html/fdiningcars.html

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

And first nail in the coffin for Normanton, whose station dining rooms fed vast crowds of passengers travelling on the Manchester-York railway.Travelling during childhood on the Thames-Clyde Express, I always knew Leeds was near as the train passed through Normanton, still a big station. Not like now.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: And first nail in the coffin for Normanton, whose station dining rooms fed vast crowds of passengers travelling on the Manchester-York railway.Travelling during childhood on the Thames-Clyde Express, I always knew Leeds was near as the train passed through Normanton, still a big station. Not like now. I was going to say that It was at Normanton that the Manchester and Leeds (later Lancashire and Yorkshire) met the Midland and gained access to Leeds over it's lines. Normanton was a significant junction in those days.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

Don't forget that Normanton was on the Midland Mainline with London -Scotland trains passing through
Fleetline

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Fleetline wrote: Don't forget that Normanton was on the Midland Mainline with London -Scotland trains passing through But not at the time we are talking about. The Settle to Carlisle stretch had not yet been built. The Midland terminated at Leeds. Access to Scotland was via the York and North Midland which runs across from Sheffield to Church Fenton and then to York.
Industria Omnia Vincit

gazza77

Post by gazza77 »

Trojan wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: And first nail in the coffin for Normanton, whose station dining rooms fed vast crowds of passengers travelling on the Manchester-York railway.Travelling during childhood on the Thames-Clyde Express, I always knew Leeds was near as the train passed through Normanton, still a big station. Not like now. I was going to say that It was at Normanton that the Manchester and Leeds (later Lancashire and Yorkshire) met the Midland and gained access to Leeds over it's lines. Normanton was a significant junction in those days. Bit off topic, but does anyone have or know a link to any good photos of the old station at Normanton before it was demolished in the early 80s?