De-regulation of buses in Leeds

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

It was obvious what the result of bus privatisation would be before it even started, all the independents would be driven out by the big companies - and that's exactly what happened. Stagecoach, First and Arriva dominate not only bus travel but train travel as well - they even run the trams in Sheffield. So how are we any further forward from the National Bus Company and local authority buses? Before the buses were nationalised we had the Tilling Group (West Yorkshire, United etc) British Electric Traction (Yorkshire Woollen, Hebble and Yorkshire Traction) and the local authority buses plus in Yorkshire West Riding who were independent. It was just Thatcherism - the nationalised buses were gettng subsidies = bad the privatised buses are now getting them = good.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

BLAKEY wrote: De-regulation Day (or actually DEEESASTER DAY) was Ontober 26th 1986 when METRO (Leeds City Transport ceased on local g overnment reorganisation in 1974) stood down as you say for Yorkshire Rider. In view of the indecent haste and dodgy legislation with which De-regulation was introduced Yorkshire Rider actually did commendably well to retain some sort of sensible network from Day 1. Large numbers of leased vehicles were returned to the hirers as mileage was drastically reduced through West Yorkshire (not just Leeds). The minibus scheme was a reasonable and calculated (as far as they could in advance) idea to "test the water" in the strange new world. In the event it did turn out to be totally unsuitable but hindsight isd a wonderful thing. As well as the 42 route they also ran "In packs" on the number 6 to Halton Moor, and on the 38 from Wortley to Stanks. One could write a book about the pros (few) and cons(many) of the idea, especially the financial side, where it was hoped that the extra staff would be financed by lower purchasing and maintenace costs of the Transit and Sherpa converted vans - a fair amount of which were delivered ONLY just in time, or indeed not quite, in the mad rush.One of our other correspondents on here knows a lot more about this than me, but as far as I recall the little delivery vans, both types excellent and respected for their intended purpose, were not up to the heavy loadings and city stopping work into which they were thrown by an Industry which had robustly warned the unbending and "not for turning" Iron Lady and her sidekick Sir Nicholas Ridley and his sidekick Mr. David Mitchell. The latter famous for his gaff of a speech where he looked out of his room at the Queen's to see in City Square at 0845 am "all those empty double decker buses" - he just failed to notice the 80 plus workers who'd just got off each of them !!With certain few very creditable exceptions DeRegulation has been a abominable disaster and a real treat fro many "get rich quick" merchants who have chosen to ignore every aspect of the Road Traffic Acts - and have largely got away with it - since 1986 the Traffic Commisioners appear to have "had their teeth pulled" to a very large extent. During my last fourteen years a s a driver in the Pontefract/Doncaster/Hemsworth/ Barnsley areas I have had to run the job properly with a reputable firm while trying trying to beat the criminal and uncbelievable antics of some of the cowboys and their delapidated heaps. In case any friend on here thinks I'm exaggerating, I promise that I am understating to some tune !! BLAKEY have you ever thought of writing a book mate??you seem to have hundreds of storys tucked away there inside your headits time you got tap tap tapping and shared them all with us.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

BRANDY WROTE :-"BLAKEY have you ever thought of writing a book mate??you seem to have hundreds of storys tucked away there inside your headits time you got tap tap tapping and shared them all with us all."...........................................................................................................Kind of you to say that Brandy - I only wish I had time to write one as a lsting contribution to the history of transport in the area. I do a few short articles for various transport societies that I am connected with and I enjoy that. At the risk of boring everyone, I have no hesitation in admitting that bus work, in all its forms, was the only thing I ever wanted to do, and I've been very lucky indeed to be paid for 44 years for doing something that I really enjoyed and where I was deeply interested in every aspect - many folks are not so fortunate. Anyone with insomnia is welcome to find a cure by having a look at my photo website (not complete yet - time you know) about my last fourteen years at work. LOLchrisblakey.fotopic.net    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

Now the penny's droppedwho you are!I have looked at your fotpic several times as South Yorkshire was one of my favorite bus companies! Such a pity its successor and its later imitation didn't keep up its reputation. As a teenager, I will never forget waiting for hours on a cold Saturday morning for Andy Oxley to arrive back from Northern Counties with a brand new 104!I also noticed you were credited in the Wallace Arnold -Glory days book.You need to write that book Blakey!        
Fleetline

Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

SorrySuch a pity its successor and its imitation DIDN'T keep up its reputation. (Must remember to check message before pressing send!)
Fleetline

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Fleetline you can edit your own posts after they have been posted. Look fo edit at the top (next to quote). Of course it isn't as obvious to those that may have already read your post that you have edited it as posting a separate ammendment is.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

cheers tykeNever noticed that bit!
Fleetline