thames clyde express

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
trophy

Post by trophy »

anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. I remember. I also the remember the other train "The Waverley" which went to Edinburgh. They used to come in to Leeds from St Pancras behind Britannia class locos and go out as you say behind Jubilees and Scots.The used to come into the terminus platforms at Leeds City, and then go out the same way they had come in behind the new engine. I think that in their last days, Gateshead LNER A3's were moved to Holbeck to handle these expresses.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. No
"always expect the unexpected"

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Leeds-lad wrote: trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. No Nor do I remember specific locos. Sad to say I wasn't much interested in trains as a kid. But I could wax lyrical about travelling on the TCE between Leeds and Leicester prior to 1953. I'll just hang fire a bit and see how this thread develops.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

ralphyboy

Post by ralphyboy »

I remember the 60's Britannias on Thames - Clyde express. I think the Clans were also used or were they used exculsively on the Glasgow services? Five of these engines being shedded at Carlisle Kingmoor the other five allocated in the Scottish area and regular vistors to Holbeck shedA3s did appear, but i believe most of their work was on 'The Queen of Scots' out of City via York to Edinburgh; these were shedded at Neville Hill.I remember the A3s at Holbeck; i was lucky to have an unofficial Cab visit on one in Holbeck with a friend of mine. The Fireman showed us how they dropped the fire! I think this was 60088 'Book Law'; wished i'd have kept my old 'spotting' books!The 'Peaks' also worked this service as well.

trophy

Post by trophy »

Trojan wrote: trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. I remember. I also the remember the other train "The Waverley" which went to Edinburgh. They used to come in to Leeds from St Pancras behind Britannia class locos and go out as you say behind Jubilees and Scots.The used to come into the terminus platforms at Leeds City, and then go out the same way they had come in behind the new engine. I think that in their last days, Gateshead LNER A3's were moved to Holbeck to handle these expresses. yes i had forgotten about the brittanias and a3s holbeck had brittanias earl haigh ,and donorch firth,the a3s were quite run down but were still prefered to the scotts and britts.holbeck also borrowed a3s from neville hill which were in much better condition,and had lost there work to diesels,two of these were harvester,and columbo.

Relentless

Post by Relentless »

Trojan wrote: trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. I remember. I also the remember the other train "The Waverley" which went to Edinburgh. They used to come in to Leeds from St Pancras behind Britannia class locos and go out as you say behind Jubilees and Scots.The used to come into the terminus platforms at Leeds City, and then go out the same way they had come in behind the new engine. I think that in their last days, Gateshead LNER A3's were moved to Holbeck to handle these expresses. Keyes 45658 spent the whole of its life at Holbeck Leeds,from 1935 to virtually the end of steam on B.R.Only 2 other Jubilees share this distinction,just seen 45231 cross the Kirkstall viaduct and thunder on to Harrogate and beyond.

Relentless

Post by Relentless »

Leeds-lad wrote: trophy wrote: anyone remember holbecks scotts and jubilees which hauled the tce and waverley.i remember duke of wellingtons regiment,welsh guardsman,sherwood forester, bellerophon,and keyes. No Those were the days at 55A,up the side wall . . .or through the great hole in the back of the shed,always something interesting,one dark evening on the way to night-school found a rather mucky A4 Silver King simmering in the yard. . . .rubbing shoulders with Brits Jubilees Crabs a 9F Patriots a rebuilt Jubilee Black 5's and Std's.,..... a week or so later watched them film a singer called Little Eva singing Do the Locomotion,on and around the Patriot Sir Frank Ree or Sir Frederick Harrison. . . .id'e have to delve into me old loco books to clarify which one. . .happy Daze.

Relentless

Post by Relentless »

ralphyboy wrote: I remember the 60's Britannias on Thames - Clyde express. I think the Clans were also used or were they used exculsively on the Glasgow services? Five of these engines being shedded at Carlisle Kingmoor the other five allocated in the Scottish area and regular vistors to Holbeck shedA3s did appear, but i believe most of their work was on 'The Queen of Scots' out of City via York to Edinburgh; these were shedded at Neville Hill.I remember the A3s at Holbeck; i was lucky to have an unofficial Cab visit on one in Holbeck with a friend of mine. The Fireman showed us how they dropped the fire! I think this was 60088 'Book Law'; wished i'd have kept my old 'spotting' books!The 'Peaks' also worked this service as well. You probably remember the other stalwarts of the class that were hanging on by the skin of their boiler-cladding. . . .remember the winter of '63 and the rescue of Trigo @ Neville hill,Shotover,Firdaussi and Harvester @Farnley Jnct., Felstead on the Liverpool Express. . . .Shotover dragging the frozen hulk of E.E.Type 4 + 12 coaches accross the rooftops @ Ninevah St. Holbeck and Archibald Sturrock an A1 on the Newcasltle XP.. . .got on this one. . . .it went like the clappers, and leaving York nearly took the roof off the station . . .later that week after a particularly extra-cold snap saw a W.D. on the Yorkshire Pullman ! so dirty that only part of the number was visible, and a very leaky double chimney V2 drag 17 loaded coaches out of York. . .i will never forget that spectacle. . . .it was like a volcano erupting under the canopy,and a stout man with a bowler on ran about shouting and waving his arms when he saw the molten metal flying from the rail as the V2's 6'-2" wheels rotated at full regulator. . . .this poor old workhorse heaved its load out and round the curve leaving us callow youths marvelling that something so neglected that had been in the stored, sacked -chimney line the week before could perform such a feat. . . .creeping round Leeman Road later i related this tale to an elderly driver in the cab of another pristine V2. . .He said 'that's nowt lad ,them engines'l pull 'ouses down tha knaws!'