Old houses on preservation orders

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Not saying I'm not excited about the town hall tour, but these are the palces I wouldn't mind having a gander at inside!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

And after that...Into Hanover Square.The 3 storey building at No.10/11 is a georgian House of more ordinary proportions than the mansion that looks down on the square.Now where is Leeds oldest surviving back to back??

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

back to backs are not that old,they were more a product of the new way of house building in the late 19th/early 20th century .mass house building projects,with sanitation,designed to replace the higgledy piggledy buildings of the previous generations (see Quarry Hill in the 19th century on Leodis)Thats not to say that there are not older back to back housing in Leeds,only that what we see today in Harehills etc is the product of some(for the time)enlightened social housing.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Just thinking now, when I was at Uni, i hated it so much I used to use the library just for leeds stuff. There was a book called "Nineteenth-Century Speculative Housing in Leeds and the Involvement of Local Architects" by F. Trowell which was very informative. From what I can gather there were three types of back to back housing in Leeds, the type I which where common in the city centre in the first part of the 19th C. (which were very diferent to the more common red brick ones we are familiar with today) and then the type II and the type III which were built in the mid part, with the type III being built up until the 1930's.The 1909 Housing and Town Planning Act outlawed all back-to-backs but a large number of applications to build were rushed through which is why they continued to be built until the 1930's. I know this is not a mega help but it might point you in the right direction.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

If i get time to pop into the uni I'll have a look for the book and see if it is any help

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: back to backs are not that old,they were more a product of the new way of house building in the late 19th/early 20th century .mass house building projects,with sanitation,designed to replace the higgledy piggledy buildings of the previous generations (see Quarry Hill in the 19th century on Leodis)Thats not to say that there are not older back to back housing in Leeds,only that what we see today in Harehills etc is the product of some(for the time)enlightened social housing. true cnosi,the building of back to backs was outlawed by the government just before the first world war,however,for some reason they continued to be built in leeds until the late 30s...wonder why???
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »