Oldest Roads

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

I grew up on Tinshill Lane and used to walk up to school at Holt Park every day. I didn't take much interest at the time, but Farrar Lane, that runs down from the top of Tinshill Lane, into the Holt Park estate, is an old Roman road. I remember them closing it off to through traffic in the mid 70's, by putting horrendous grey bollards at the top and bottom of it. Does anyone know if there has ever been any archaeology or studies done on it? Surely somone would have done some research into Leeds' oldest thoroughfare?

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

There was a Roman Garrison somwhere towards Moortown. The path in Meanwood Woods that starts at the end of Green Road and goes up to the ring road was a Roman 'Harrigate' or soldiers path. I reckon that this could have joined up with what is now Adel Lane at the ring road and Adel Lane continues up to join the end of Farrar Lane.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 29&t=hHave a look at;http://www.arch.wyjs.org.uk/AdvSrv/inde ... eeds.htmTo quote Arthur Hopwood from his 'History of Meanwood' :"The Roman army built a road from Ilkley to Tadcaster which crossed the Adel Beck near Golden Acre Park. There are also hints of a minor road and some defensive works near the junction of Parkside Road and Stonegate Road, to the south of the area once known as Hawcaster Rigg. From time to time Roman coins have been turned up locally, whether lost by careless soldiers with 'holes in their pockets' or hidden by fearful Romano-British inhabitants of the civilian settlement to the north of Adel Church, no-one can tell. As well as coins many other artefacts from this period have been found, namely: altars, pottery and brooches."Maybe the road ran from Ilkley passing along Farrar Lane, to this garrison, turned up what is now Stonegate Road then on through Shadwell, Thorner, Bramham to Tadcaster in a roughly straight line?These towns and villages wouldn't have existed at the time but it makes sense looking at the map.Got a metal detector?
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

munki

Post by munki »

Clarendon Road is marked as a 'Roman Road' on the 1850 map of Leeds...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Thanks Martyn, I'll have a look at that later when I get back home. Had a look on Leodis but there are only very vague photo's of the top of Farrar Lane, in the snow of 1947! (Just to note, I also looked at Tinshill Lane, opposite the house I grew up in. My auntie used to tell us she remembered "when it was all fields"...Do you know what? She was right!! My "house" and those surrounding were all just fields!!! I know that the houses weren't always there, but it just seems weird seeing it like that!!!)Also Munki, that rings a bell, I seem to recall reading that on a map and being surprised at the time, about Clarendon Rd. It's fascinating!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Checked out that link Martyn, thanks very much. It was really interesting. Have bookmarked it for further investigations!!

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

munki wrote: Clarendon Road is marked as a 'Roman Road' on the 1850 map of Leeds... So it is!It's marked on the 1831 map as 'Ancient Road from Leeds to Otley'I knew Ilkley was a Roman settlement but I hadn't heard of Otley being one, otley-online reckons it might have been a very limited settlement.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

the A659 "ridge road" to the East of Garforth is the old roman Great north road. Goes through Cas Vegas where the river crossing was apparently of huge strategic importance.

Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi,I remember in the 70s my uncle getting a map out of the Wigton Lane area. On it was marked the site of a Roman road.The road ran along a field in between, or near too, the boundary of the properties on the north side of Wigton Lane and the golf course on the other side of the field.This field has now been built on.Don't know if this area has been researched into either.So would this road link up to Farrar Lane?I also remember when Farrar Lane was closed off at this point.I was at the time a TV engineer and thought it would mess my life up forever! Thinking not to be able to drive through to get to my calls.Obliviously we didn't have much to worry about then!    
Go the Rhinos.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

He he! Yes, it sounds like life was pretty carefree for you until that road closure eh?!!!I reckon Farrar Lane would link up with Wigton Lane, as the crow flies. They would be in a virtually straight line thinking about it. Obviously before the Moor Allerton Centre!! Can't see a load of Romans trudging through Sainsburys/Homebase somehow!!!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

There's supposed to be an old Roman road parallel to Warm Lane in Yeadon. It is above the level of the current road and is not visible from it.There is also supposed to be a Roman road in Horsforth going from Westbrook Lane over the top to West End Lane.