Stuffed Dodo

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
johnnieAstro

Stuffed Dodo

Post by johnnieAstro »

Help.

I wasn't sure which forum topic to post under, but as this might be 1 of only 3 in the world, and is extinct it seemed the best option.

Does anyone remember a Stuffed Dodo in Leeds City Museum, this is when it was in the Building next to the Town Hall, same as the Libraries.

The subject has come up on Twitter, (tweet author Tom Holland) and it would seem there are only two known examples in the world. I have put the cat among the pigeons :lol: by posting that I seemed to remember Leeds City Museum having a stuffed example on display when I was nobut a sprog.

It may be my memory is playing tricks, but I can see it in my minds eye as clear as day.

PS I haven't been on the gin yet. The Dodo was related to the Pigeon family :geek:

Leeds Museums would like to know, the trouble is they have so much stuff, and most is in storage, but it would be a real boon to the city if I am correct.

String o' beads

Re: Stuffed Dodo

Post by String o' beads »

I remember it too but can add nothing further.

I'll ask the oracle [me Dad].

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I came across this photo when doing a Leeds Museum search. It shows a stuffed Dodo (or a made up one) that presumably was at Leeds Museum. This is a link to it (I have used a application to shorten what was a very long url):- http://tinyurl.com/jd55cat Clicking on a few of the arrows with the photo should bring up some related images (and many that are not).

I assume that the Dodo is/was at Leeds Museum but I apologise if it is not/was not there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Unfortunately Leo, that one appears to be in the Museum at La Rochelle. The search engine has found it as it appears under a picture of the dodo skeleton in Leeds Museum.

https://dodoquest.wordpress.com/author/ ... st/page/2/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Geordie-exile wrote:Unfortunately Leo, that one appears to be in the Museum at La Rochelle. The search engine has found it as it appears under a picture of the dodo skeleton in Leeds Museum.

https://dodoquest.wordpress.com/author/ ... st/page/2/
Hi Geordie-exile :).

Thanks for that information. I did suspect that I might be wrong. I think my brain is going the way of the Dodo! ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I'm sure I've seen a stuffed Dodo within the last few months. I live in Rothwell but I haven't set foot in Leeds or Wakefield city centres for at least two years. I work in York and often spend my lunch breaks in town there. I can only think that's where I saw it. Are you sure that there are only 3 stuffed examples in the world, if so I may have to question my sanity?
The older I get, the better I was.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Was it not just Dodo bones? I seem to remember the bones of part of a Dodo skeleton when the museum was in the Municipal Buildings, but never a stuffed dodo. They had a stuffed Tasmanian Tiger (which are also extinct) but not sure if it was transferred to the current museum location.

johnnieAstro

Post by johnnieAstro »

Geordie-exile wrote:I remember it too but can add nothing further.

I'll ask the oracle [me Dad].
Geordie, you are a star, the main thing was to establish I wasn't loopy lou and working on a dodgy memory, I shall pass a link to this thread over to Leeds Museums.

I don't know if you are aware, but less than 20% of items held by Leeds Museums have been on show, and they have thousands of items still on old card indexes, in fact lots of stuff may not even be indexed, so the staff prefer not to be going on a wild goose chase (should that be a dead Dodo chase lol) without some corroboration.

Any info will be helpful.

Thanx.

johnnieAstro

Post by johnnieAstro »

Leodian wrote:I came across this photo when doing a Leeds Museum search. It shows a stuffed Dodo (or a made up one) that presumably was at Leeds Museum. This is a link to it (I have used a application to shorten what was a very long url):- http://tinyurl.com/jd55cat Clicking on a few of the arrows with the photo should bring up some related images (and many that are not).

I assume that the Dodo is/was at Leeds Museum but I apologise if it is not/was not there.
Many thanks for that, even though Bing has linked it to Leeds Museums, it seems to be La Rochelle, and looks remarkably plastic to my untrained eye. However it is all grist to the mill, as it seems that the existing bones and information about the Dodo keeps getting mislaid?

And it is very possible this example has been missed by the guy doing the research.

Very unlikely it was humans that drove them to extinction, as they didn't taste over good, and were in thick forest.

The current thinking is it was rats that escaped from ships onto the Island and they were partial to Dodo eggs.

johnnieAstro

Post by johnnieAstro »

Bruno wrote:I'm sure I've seen a stuffed Dodo within the last few months. I live in Rothwell but I haven't set foot in Leeds or Wakefield city centres for at least two years. I work in York and often spend my lunch breaks in town there. I can only think that's where I saw it. Are you sure that there are only 3 stuffed examples in the world, if so I may have to question my sanity?
According to Tom Holland on Twitter, it is two, and most seem to have a habit of getting mislaid.

I tweeted complete with link to Leeds Museums that I seemed to remember seeing one there years ago, and they were back to say they would look into it, and could I find more info.

It is not beyond possibility that you have seen one, but I'm talking over 40 years ago.

If you do track it down let us know.