Oldest lift in leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
big s

Post by big s »

is this the oldest lift in leeds?i dont know how old it is but it it sure looks old!even if it is not the oldest it maybe the most elegant with its polished wood paneling and its leather bench seat and polished br[edited for content] button plates and fitted carpet.it can be found at josephs well just off westgate.
at least until the world stops going round.

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

There is something in the LGI that everyone used to call the Golden Chariot which I have ridden in and that must be pretty old, I can't remember exactly where it is now.Odd that, since it is a remarkable object, all brass, glass, and metal rails.I think it might be somewhere in in the old George Street main entrance, I wonder of someone can help me out here, I used to go into the lift machinery rooms to sample the gearbox oil which would be sent off for analysis - part of the planned manintenance.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

electricaldave wrote: There is something in the LGI that everyone used to call the Golden Chariot which I have ridden in and that must be pretty old, I can't remember exactly where it is now.Odd that, since it is a remarkable object, all brass, glass, and metal rails.I think it might be somewhere in in the old George Street main entrance, I wonder of someone can help me out here, I used to go into the lift machinery rooms to sample the gearbox oil which would be sent off for analysis - part of the planned manintenance. the golden chariot isnt there anymore. This was the main lift in the Calverley street entrance (Brotherton wing). We replaced it when i was estates officer at the LGI probably around 14 years ago. Brotherton wing was buit in the 1930's but i cant say if the golden chariot was the original lift when it was first built.the lift in the George Street entrance is known a sthe "99 seps" lift and serves some doctors accommodation. this building was opened in 1868 but again i couldnt say if this lift was an original fitment (although it is of a very old style)

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

Thanks for that, at least I wasn't imagining things!

big s

Post by big s »

bigpants wrote: electricaldave wrote: There is something in the LGI that everyone used to call the Golden Chariot which I have ridden in and that must be pretty old, I can't remember exactly where it is now.Odd that, since it is a remarkable object, all brass, glass, and metal rails.I think it might be somewhere in in the old George Street main entrance, I wonder of someone can help me out here, I used to go into the lift machinery rooms to sample the gearbox oil which would be sent off for analysis - part of the planned manintenance. the golden chariot isnt there anymore. This was the main lift in the Calverley street entrance (Brotherton wing). We replaced it when i was estates officer at the LGI probably around 14 years ago. Brotherton wing was buit in the 1930's but i cant say if the golden chariot was the original lift when it was first built.the lift in the George Street entrance is known a sthe "99 seps" lift and serves some doctors accommodation. this building was opened in 1868 but again i couldnt say if this lift was an original fitment (although it is of a very old style) not wanting to sound too fussy but can i just point out your slip of the keyboard "99seps" is of course "99 steps"
at least until the world stops going round.

JoeJo1981

Post by JoeJo1981 »

Not trying to rain on anyones parade here but...As far as I am aware, (one of) The oldest lift(s) in Leeds resides in The Grand Theatre on Briggate, and is still in use to this day for the transport of stock for the bars.The lift was (alledgedly) installed some time after the oldest lift in England (Chatsworth House). Leeds Grand dates from 1878ad. So around then I guess.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There is, or was, an ancient lift in Yorkshire Bank Chambers on Infirmary Street. Dunno if it's still there - last time I passed there was a lot of work going on.    

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

There was a lift at the back of Miss Selfridges on Lands Lane, the building used to be the Scala Cinema which closed in the 50's, it was one those old cage lifts and i think its still there to this day, it may have had something to with the Cinema itself although the building was gutted a couple of times due to fire.