Benyons Court

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
Gat

Benyons Court

Post by Gat »

Hi, does anyone know where Benyons Courts used to be (i don't think it exists anymore)?
Thanks.

uncle mick

Re: Benyons Court

Post by uncle mick »

Gat wrote:Hi, does anyone know where Benyons Courts used to be (i don't think it exists anymore)?
Thanks.
On the 1881 census Benyons Court is listed next to Cross John Street but is does not appear to be marked on the 1901 Insurance plan

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex ... f052r.html
Cross John Street.png
Cross John Street.png (501.15 KiB) Viewed 63423 times
Attachments
Benyons Court.png
Benyons Court.png (58.11 KiB) Viewed 63423 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Attachments
Cross John Street.png1937.jpg
Cross John Street.png1937.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 63420 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Benyons Court is not marked on the 1889 map, it may have been a building and not a Courtyard
It was situated between Sweet Street and Manor Road, today it is under new office buildings. Previously this area was a council depot.

https://goo.gl/maps/K1bXFJFEvcC2

:arrow:
Attachments
Cross John Street.JPG
Cross John Street.JPG (286.64 KiB) Viewed 63394 times
Cross John Street 0.JPG
Cross John Street 0.JPG (148.66 KiB) Viewed 63394 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

As there are 5 dwellings listed as separate dwellings in Benyons court and 1-4 are together, but no 5 is separate, I think it unlikely that it is a building On the 1850 map below, the mill that is listed as Holbeck Mill in 1889 is then called Benyons mill. There seems to be no listing of Williamsons court in the census, though it is listed on both 1889 and 1850 maps. As this would have been facing the mill, I wonder Benyons court is an alternate name for Williamsons court

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quote="chemimike"]As there are 5 dwellings listed as separate dwellings in Benyons court and 1-4 are together, but no 5 is separate, I think it unlikely that it is a building On the 1850 map below, the mill that is listed as Holbeck Mill in 1889 is then called Benyons mill. There seems to be no listing of Williamsons court in the census, though it is listed on both 1889 and 1850 maps. As this would have been facing the mill, I wonder Benyons court is an alternate name for Williamsons court

chemimike. Williamsons Court is listed in the 1881 census
Williamsons Court.png
Williamsons Court.png (58.97 KiB) Viewed 63371 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

On chemimike's map and the 1842-52 OS map the block opposite the end of John St and the square just below it seem to form an open space enclosure to the northeast of the mill bulidings with a couople of other freestanding structures in that enclosure could that be Benyon's Court? There are also 3 buildings backing on to the dwellings on western side of Cross John St (Bk Cross John St?). Regardless there seems to be nothing on the north side of John St west of Cross John St which probably explains why Benyon's court follows Cross John St in the census.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

the 1881 census shows the following streets in the vicinity for the collective census
John Street
Williamson Court
Johns Yard
John Court
Benyons Court
Cross John Street
Meadow Lane
In the 1881 census George and Emily Todd were living at 5 Benyons Court
In the 1891 census George has died and Emily is the head living at 13 Benyons Court
It must be insignificant to be not marked on the O/S maps

:arrow:
Attachments
1881 census.JPG
1881 census.JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 63330 times
1891 census.JPG
1891 census.JPG (90 KiB) Viewed 63330 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Gat

Post by Gat »

Interesting. Thanks everyone for your help. Regarding the mill mentioned by "uncle mick", George Todd (person of interest) lived at 5 Benyons Court and he was a Corn Miller so perhaps he worked at Benyons Mill.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'm pretty certain I saw flax mill on one of the maps I looked at. I wouldn't have thought there would be a corn mill anywhere close to Holbeck but I could be proved wrong.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/