Benyons Court

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
buffaloskinner

Re: Benyons Court

Post by buffaloskinner »

On the 1891 map there are two Corn Mills at the end of Manor Road, the People's Mill and Camp Field Mill both of which state they worked with corn in some way.

:arrow:
Attachments
Corn.jpg
Corn.jpg (437.33 KiB) Viewed 74082 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Well I said I could be proved wrong. I'm somewhat amazed that food would be processed in such a sooty smoggy environment. I suppose the one upside is that it was to the west of the industrialised area and therefore the prevailing westerly winds would normally blow the pollution away.

The two mills would occupy roughtly the same space as the white roofed buildings here https://goo.gl/maps/E91DJoS2fsn between Marshall and David Streets
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

rikj

Post by rikj »

No help in locating Benyon Court, but on the 1852 OS map Benyon Beck is still extant. Looks to outfall into the Aire just downstream from Victoria Bridge.

Makes me wonder who Benyon was to have a beck named after him? Or is there another explanation?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

rikj wrote:No help in locating Benyon Court, but on the 1852 OS map Benyon Beck is still extant. Looks to outfall into the Aire just downstream from Victoria Bridge.

Makes me wonder who Benyon was to have a beck named after him? Or is there another explanation?
Cheers rikj for the mention about Benyon Beck, as I don't recall knowing of that before.

I have attached a section of a map I've copied from the National Library of Scotland website of the 'OS Six-inch. Yorkshire 218 (includes: Leeds; Rothwell). Surveyed: 1846 to 1847. Published: 1852' map. It is enlarged a lot to show the beck, so I hope it is still readable. Benyon Beck meanders around about across the centre of the image. It seems to start from Low Beck (which seems here to become Hol Beck) and runs to seemingly join the River Aire near Victoria Bridge (it seems unlikely that it will have started there and run right to left to Low Beck). I wonder what traces (if any) remain of Benyon Beck?
NLS1846To1847.jpg
NLS1846To1847.jpg (950 KiB) Viewed 74053 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

If I remember correctly, the Benyon Beck outfall was just to the west of Leeds Bridge, and the small arch is still to be seen.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

uncle mick wrote:
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex ... f052r.html
Cross John Street.png
Brilliant Map Uncle Mick! Is this an online resource?

How far did they map? just the urban areas??

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Mostly the central areas Parksider. They are listed in no particular order but they are "zoomable" & very detailed & yes an online resource

List here http://www.bl.uk/search/og/search?q=lee ... _yorkshire

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

It's been a long while since this thread was last used but I thought I might as well add something.

On the 1850s OS map of Leeds it shows a "Kenyon's Court" as highlighted in my attached map. I wouldn't mind betting this is a spelling error, I have found other spelling errors on OS maps in the past. Also as Chemimike pointed out, there are 5 dwellings in Benyon Court, 1-4 are joine with no. 5 seperate. This description fits "Kenyon's Court" on the map. What do you think?
Attachments
BenyonsCourt.jpg
BenyonsCourt.jpg (143.22 KiB) Viewed 65050 times

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I think you are correct. A mistake on the OS's part. This is from White's 1875 directory
ScreenHunter 6753.jpg
ScreenHunter 6753.jpg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 65019 times

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Here is the best photo I can find, courtesy of Leodis.

Benyon's Ct would be where the gap is as shown.
Attachments
uiuu.jpg
uiuu.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 65011 times