Local History - Edmund Bogg's Eden Vale to Plains of York

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
johnnykaos

Local History - Edmund Bogg's Eden Vale to Plains of York

Post by johnnykaos »

Hi folks!

I wonder if anyone else is familiar with and old book by an author called Edmund Bogg. The book is an old 'guide book' of sorts, its title was 'From Eden Vale to the Plains of York'. The book is a travel guide to the region of North Yorkshire around the river Nidd / Wharfe area. I can recall many a wet sunday afternoon reading this old tome at home as a kid back in the 1980s. There are a few interesting stories about local folklore including the 'bargheust' or 'padfoot' which is some dreadful overgrown black dog whose appearance was an ill omen. I've heard quite a few stories about this creature, in particular I think that Leeds has its own incarnation in local myths. Is anyone else familiar with Edmund Bogg's works or have any knowledge of the legendary black dog?

warringtonrhino

Re: Local History - Edmund Bogg's Eden Vale to Plains of Yor

Post by warringtonrhino »

johnnykaos wrote:Hi folks!

I wonder if anyone else is familiar with and old book by an author called Edmund Bogg. The book is an old 'guide book' of sorts, its title was 'From Eden Vale to the Plains of York'. The book is a travel guide to the region of North Yorkshire around the river Nidd / Wharfe area. I can recall many a wet sunday afternoon reading this old tome at home as a kid back in the 1980s. There are a few interesting stories about local folklore including the 'bargheust' or 'padfoot' which is some dreadful overgrown black dog whose appearance was an ill omen. I've heard quite a few stories about this creature, in particular I think that Leeds has its own incarnation in local myths. Is anyone else familiar with Edmund Bogg's works or have any knowledge of the legendary black dog?
Yes I have one, it's in my 'within arms reach' bookshelf because it is often in use, for reference.

rikj

Post by rikj »

From memory there is at least one of his books in the Central Library, maybe the Elmete one. And I'm sure that I've seen him quoted in other books.

An interesting article about him from the Yorkshire Ramblers Club website:

http://www.yrc.org.uk/yrcweb/index.php/ ... 7-s12i5p51

However, the author makes this comment:

"This paper records and comments on Bogg's connection with the Yorkshire Ramblers' Club. It is not intended to be a critical appreciation of Bogg's literary talent. Suffice it to say that he was a romantic writer. His contemporary topographer and local historian, Harry Speight, is considered to be a more reliable authority."

Cravan, S.A. (1996) The Relationship between Edmund Bogg, The Leeds Savage Club and the YRC. Yorkshire Ramblers' Club Journal Series 12 Issue 5: pp51-54. Leeds: YRC

johnnykaos

Post by johnnykaos »

Yippee! I found a link to an online copy of the book here:

https://archive.org/stream/fromedenvale ... 4/mode/2up

Yes I realise that Mr Bogg's writings are quite artistic in style and most likely a lot of his historical 'facts' are outdated. However it makes for quite easy and enjoyable reading for an afternoon armchair traveller of the lower Dales. I like to read about places / events / people he refers to and then google them to see if they still exist and how they look today compared to his descriptions which are most likely over a century old by now.

I believe the same author also did a number of books in a similar vein which cover other areas of Yorkshire, I wouldnt mind checking some out.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for your post johnnykaos i look forward to reading this book when i have the time.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

rikj

Post by rikj »

johnnykaos wrote:Yippee! I found a link to an online copy of the book here:

https://archive.org/stream/fromedenvale ... 4/mode/2up
Brilliant, that's my summer reading sorted out. Looks like most (all?) of his books are on there.