Oldest Dwelling

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

I believe that Cad Beeston is the oldest surviving building in the environs of Leeds.Apart from this,and the three tiered timber building in Lamberts yard off Briggate are there any older buildings than these still left?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

stevief

Post by stevief »

How old is Cad Beeston? Kirkstall Abbey was completed in 1182.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Bit of 'offside' play creeping in there Stevief.Wouldn't the abbey class as "place of worship", rather than the oldest 'dwelling'.? I can only think of Stank Hall. Between Dewsbury Rd/Bodmin Rd. That's supposed to be a very old farmhouse,[dwelling]. But there must be many other similar ones.

stevief

Post by stevief »

farbank wrote: Bit of 'offside' play creeping in there Stevief.Wouldn't the abbey class as "place of worship", rather than the oldest 'dwelling'.? I can only think of Stank Hall. Between Dewsbury Rd/Bodmin Rd. That's supposed to be a very old farmhouse,[dwelling]. But there must be many other similar ones. Hi farbank! I don't think cnosni specifies 'dwelling' he says 'building'but in any case it was originally a 'dwelling' and a place of worship.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

what about the bingley arms,just off the a58,oldest pub in the country,and it pre-dates kirkstall by 200yrs
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

done some checking on the bingley arms at bardsey.it is mentioned in the parish records in 905ad,and the middle part of the 'HOUSE' date back to 953ad,making it(from memory) nearer 250yrs older than kirkstall.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Yeh.! Arry Awk & me were on the groundwork gang.[Though I was only the 'ale-boy'. Tea not being dicovered in Bardsey then].

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Sorry chaps,my title thread and then posting contradict themselves.I should have maintained the use of "Dwelling" in the posting as i was thinking along the lines of houses as opposed to places of worship or stately homes.Cad Beeston i believe is 14th century,though i have seen mention of the 13th century in the past.Just remembered the timber frame building at the roundabout near Oulton Hall.The date on the front (if memory serves me correctly) is 1666.But this date only refers to the extension that was built,the older parts are to the rear and side.PS can anyone explain how to put a photo on a message?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: Sorry chaps,my title thread and then posting contradict themselves.I should have maintained the use of "Dwelling" in the posting as i was thinking along the lines of houses as opposed to places of worship or stately homes.Cad Beeston i believe is 14th century,though i have seen mention of the 13th century in the past.Just remembered the timber frame building at the roundabout near Oulton Hall.The date on the front (if memory serves me correctly) is 1666.But this date only refers to the extension that was built,the older parts are to the rear and side.PS can anyone explain how to put a photo on a message? bingley arms is still winning.any advance on 953 ad?

farbank

Post by farbank »

Hi Cnosni,             See Jancee's info to Arry Awk on the Lost Cinema thread, page 10.