Oldest Dwelling

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: bingley arms at bardsey still winning this old chestnut then....953ad i think?? I think trying to class abbeys, old mansions, large barns, old public houses etc as "dwellings" only serves to try to win a point rather than savour some of our wonderful old houses that were the ordinary dwellings of ordinary folk.Cad beeston is a wonderful example of a truly old house. I suppose these did not survice much due to their age and the materials used. I think many such buildings were re-built in stone so often the construction you see can be enveloping older houses.Once the Victorians started to mass produce bricks and mass produce houses Leeds became awash with "old" houses, but there are interesting old houses that seemingly go back that bit further.The houses mentioned at Whitkirk on the turn off to Temple Newsam, The old houses still dotted around seacroft green, the georgian workers houses on high court lane, and old houses on wharfe street. The 3 storey georgian house in hanover square, some very old stone built cottages in Pudsey, Farsley, Rodley, Horsforth (These stone built ones were truly built to last). Old stone cottages in far headingley around cottage road, the odd old house or two down Dock street, stone houses that were enveloped by Victorian brick as the city spread out and washed over Armley, Potternewton, Bramley etc. Old miners cottages in Crossgates etc etc etc.It's great to pick these pre-victorian places out!On the "oldest" however I'd love to know which are the oldest surviving back to backs. The wife once did a local history course in the midlands where it was declared (and this was the 1970's) that all Britains back to backs had been demolished!!

Si

Post by Si »

Quote:"On the "oldest" however I'd love to know which are the oldest surviving back to backs. The wife once did a local history course in the midlands where it was declared (and this was the 1970's) that all Britains back to backs had been demolished!!"Bloody hell!!! So that's why my house is so draughty!    

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: bingley arms at bardsey still winning this old chestnut then....953ad i think?? I think trying to class abbeys, old mansions, large barns, old public houses etc as "dwellings" only serves to try to win a point rather than savour some of our wonderful old houses that were the ordinary dwellings of ordinary folk.Cad beeston is a wonderful example of a truly old house. I suppose these did not survice much due to their age and the materials used. I think many such buildings were re-built in stone so often the construction you see can be enveloping older houses.Once the Victorians started to mass produce bricks and mass produce houses Leeds became awash with "old" houses, but there are interesting old houses that seemingly go back that bit further.The houses mentioned at Whitkirk on the turn off to Temple Newsam, The old houses still dotted around seacroft green, the georgian workers houses on high court lane, and old houses on wharfe street. The 3 storey georgian house in hanover square, some very old stone built cottages in Pudsey, Farsley, Rodley, Horsforth (These stone built ones were truly built to last). Old stone cottages in far headingley around cottage road, the odd old house or two down Dock street, stone houses that were enveloped by Victorian brick as the city spread out and washed over Armley, Potternewton, Bramley etc. Old miners cottages in Crossgates etc etc etc.It's great to pick these pre-victorian places out!On the "oldest" however I'd love to know which are the oldest surviving back to backs. The wife once did a local history course in the midlands where it was declared (and this was the 1970's) that all Britains back to backs had been demolished!! one can hardly class cad beeston as been a house for 'ordinary folk',even when first erected,house of the rather well off i would of thought.    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: bingley arms at bardsey still winning this old chestnut then....953ad i think?? I think trying to class abbeys, old mansions, large barns, old public houses etc as "dwellings" only serves to try to win a point rather than savour some of our wonderful old houses that were the ordinary dwellings of ordinary folk.Cad beeston is a wonderful example of a truly old house. I suppose these did not survice much due to their age and the materials used. I think many such buildings were re-built in stone so often the construction you see can be enveloping older houses.Once the Victorians started to mass produce bricks and mass produce houses Leeds became awash with "old" houses, but there are interesting old houses that seemingly go back that bit further.The houses mentioned at Whitkirk on the turn off to Temple Newsam, The old houses still dotted around seacroft green, the georgian workers houses on high court lane, and old houses on wharfe street. The 3 storey georgian house in hanover square, some very old stone built cottages in Pudsey, Farsley, Rodley, Horsforth (These stone built ones were truly built to last). Old stone cottages in far headingley around cottage road, the odd old house or two down Dock street, stone houses that were enveloped by Victorian brick as the city spread out and washed over Armley, Potternewton, Bramley etc. Old miners cottages in Crossgates etc etc etc.It's great to pick these pre-victorian places out!On the "oldest" however I'd love to know which are the oldest surviving back to backs. The wife once did a local history course in the midlands where it was declared (and this was the 1970's) that all Britains back to backs had been demolished!! one can hardly class cad beeston as been a house for 'ordinary folk',even when first erected,house of the rather well off i would of thought.     Quite so Wiggy,but i recently saw a picture of Cad Beeston at the library when looking into the skulls,and the building was extensively altered.What we see now is a drastic reconstruction of many of the original materials that had been hidden over the years.The picture shows it resembled a barn more than a house.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Speaking of Hanover Square, I was very kindly allowed to roam around some of the underground bits of the Swarthmore Centre last Saturday whilst talking to staff about some of the ghost reports . It still has an original kitchen in the old servants quarters down in the basement with slabs,stone sinks etc.Partly used as a classroom now.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Speaking of Hanover Square, I was very kindly allowed to roam around some of the underground bits of the Swarthmore Centre last Saturday whilst talking to staff about some of the ghost reports . It still has an original kitchen in the old servants quarters down in the basement with slabs,stone sinks etc.Partly used as a classroom now. Where are the pics Steve?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I didn't have a camera with me Chris.I was at an event there when the guy who chairs the committee turned up so I asked him about stories I had heard and he kindly took me round and let me chat to him and some people doing a pottery class in the basement area.If I do a proper vigil i will take my camera.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: I didn't have a camera with me Chris.I was at an event there when the guy who chairs the committee turned up so I asked him about stories I had heard and he kindly took me round and let me chat to him and some people doing a pottery class in the basement area.If I do a proper vigil i will take my camera. You could be SLs very own Derek Acorah,but we could call youSteve Pakorah,has quite a ring to it.