hotel in leeds

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

DOBBO wrote: I would be interested - if any one has the information - in information on The Mount Hotel which was a temperance hotel and became part of the university halls of residence , I can't remember it being a hotel much after the early seventies Some info on Leodishttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

polo

Post by polo »

jim wrote: The original Queens/Midland Hotel at the corner of Bishopgate Street and City Square (where the current arched exit from New Station Street is) existed from the 1860s until 1937 replacement by the present Art Deco building is one possibility. Another is the (still extant as flats) building at the junction of Wellington Street and Thirsk Row. This was the Great Northern Hotel, later the Wellesley Hotel, which was adjacent to the entrance to the old Leeds Central Station. That station was closed and demolished in the late 1960s, and the hotel dates back to the 19th century. Hi Jim i've tried to find a previous thread that i started about the great northern hotel (no joy though)but i dont think it was on thirsk row though i believe it was opposite the old queens.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 55Original Northern Hotel, the later one was indeed Thirsk Row.

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for the correction on the age of the Great Northern Hotel Polo and LS1. Does anyone know when the Thirsk Row hotel was built? I feel fairly confident that it would be in place at the date of the Neville Shute book referred to in Barfly's query.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote: Thanks for the correction on the age of the Great Northern Hotel Polo and LS1. Does anyone know when the Thirsk Row hotel was built? I feel fairly confident that it would be in place at the date of the Neville Shute book referred to in Barfly's query.     Jim - This is from 10th July 1869
Attachments
Great Northern.jpg
Great Northern.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 11620 times

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for that uncle mick. The hotel adjacent to Leeds Central station at the junction of Thirsk Row and Wellington Street does indeed date from 1869 then.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

DOBBO wrote: I would be interested - if any one has the information - in information on The Mount Hotel which was a temperance hotel and became part of the university halls of residence , I can't remember it being a hotel much after the early seventies In the 1950s the Mount Hotel had a lovely black Wolseley (12hp or 14hp I believe) saloon car with a vertical sign mounted on the roof reading "MOUNT HOTEL" - this fascinating vehicle was to be seen daily in the area, no doubt ferrying guests to and from the Station and other local facilities. By the way, was the Mount Hotel named, I wonder, after the street called Mount Preston ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi - Joining this thread late. The Victorian railway hotels are relative newcomers Are there no old coaching inns which predate the railways? For example the Griffin hotel was rebuilt as a railway hotel in 1872 but the earlier coaching inn on the site dates back to the 17thC.Does the hotel still have to be open as a hotel or does the building just have to exist?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

polo

Post by polo »

BLAKEY wrote: DOBBO wrote: I would be interested - if any one has the information - in information on The Mount Hotel which was a temperance hotel and became part of the university halls of residence , I can't remember it being a hotel much after the early seventies In the 1950s the Mount Hotel had a lovely black Wolseley (12hp or 14hp I believe) saloon car with a vertical sign mounted on the roof reading "MOUNT HOTEL" - this fascinating vehicle was to be seen daily in the area, no doubt ferrying guests to and from the Station and other local facilities. By the way, was the Mount Hotel named, I wonder, after the street called Mount Preston ?? Blakey theres a mount preston attatched to a house on tong rd opp green lane and its looks like an old unpainted street sign

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I must say I'm very amused by the development of this thread - the first post is actually by a spammer looking to improve the Google rank for his web design business (I've contacted him and told him where to go already). However it warms my cockles that his lame attempt at search engine optimisation has spawned a thread of such depth and interest. Any other forum and this thread would probably have been deleted on sight - not here though. Nice work folks
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.