Oldest still running Leeds firms / shops / pubs etc

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I've noticed that many old established places only noticed sadly when they come to close down and a story runs in the YEP or it comes to peoples attention due to the fact they arent going to be there any longer. Can anyone think of any good examples of long established things in Leeds whether they be businesses, buildings, shops, pubs etc that are still going and have been for decades. I guess a lot of pubs have been around a long time so thats quite an easy one, but I'm thinking about things people might have a collective memory of, for example Nash's fish and chip restaurant, or particular traders in Leeds market which have been going for several generations yet are still clinging on despite the rise of the supermarkets / internet etc. I dont know their names but there is a haberdashery stall on the top end of the market and a cobblers / keymaker which seem to have been there forever. I noticed quite recently the stall on 'Game Row' where you could buy woodpigeons and duck eggs which had been there for as long as I can remember finally closed down. I think there used to be a lot more independent traders - especially in the city centre before the rise of all these chain stores which make Leeds city centre barely distinguisable from any other town or city centre in the UK or western world. Sadly now it seems that even in the outlying towns where independent traders and retailers had managed to hang on we are seeing that they are going out of business only to have their shops taken over by charity shops i.e, Headingley / Otley.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

polo

Post by polo »

maturis may or may not be on this list soon a true leeds business

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

Probably not known outside the trade but Hainsworth's Mill in Stanningley/Pudsey area has been on the go since 1783. Among other things,they make the red cloth for Guards uniforms.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

polo wrote: maturis may or may not be on this list soon a true leeds business I believe Maturi's shut down some time ago: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6516741
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Once read somewhere that Proctor Brothers (wireworks), was the oldest company still active in Leeds. Or was it just a dream .?    
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The Hunslet Engine Co (from 1864) is still going - just under a different name and not in Leeds....http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/histhe.asp
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

polo

Post by polo »

MnS surely gotta be an old one