The saying " he's tailed it" meaning he's died, where did it originate anyone?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
zip55

Post by zip55 »

Jogon wrote: Shuffled off, another From Hamlet "shuffled off this mortal coil".

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

"Snuffed it" years ago when extinguishing a candle.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

What about Cheyne-Stoking? As seen in the excellent 'Dead Mans Shoes' where it is a somewhat cryptic warning to the films characters that they are indeed breathing their last breaths.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jim

Post by jim »

Chain stokers are devices for automatic firing of coal-fired industrial boilers, which run continually at pre-determined rates using small coal. Possibly the connection?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

jim wrote: Chain stokers are devices for automatic firing of coal-fired industrial boilers, which run continually at pre-determined rates using small coal. Possibly the connection? No,it is the Cheyne Stokes pattern of breathing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyne%E2% ... ationwhich apart from associated with sleep apnoea can also be the taking the final breath,see my earlier post on croaking as well.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

From what I can ascertain the pattern of breathing related to Cheyne-Stokes is characterised by the affected person taking rapid smaller breaths rising to slightly larger breaths then descending back to smaller breaths with a sustained pause inbetween before the cycle repeats again.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

jim

Post by jim »

Steve Jones wrote: jim wrote: Chain stokers are devices for automatic firing of coal-fired industrial boilers, which run continually at pre-determined rates using small coal. Possibly the connection? No,it is the Cheyne Stokes pattern of breathing.     I bow to your and jonleeds' superior knowledge Steve. Shame though, I could envision images to nearly match the repeated shots of railway coal wagons heading north in "The Ladykillers"!.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

"Carked it" ?    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Lilysmum wrote: "Carked it" ?     I last heard this term "Tailed it" when I was in my teens around 1957-60. Unfortunately it was not very nice and referred in a boastful way of "having had sex with"! I have never heard it in any other context. Quite a few people I worked with at that time used this term.
ex-Armley lad