The saying " he's tailed it" meaning he's died, where did it originate anyone?

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
mayslass

Post by mayslass »

Anybody here know the answer to this question which is a bit bewildering?

jim

Post by jim »

Don't know how long the saying has been in use, but they did say that aircraft tail gunners were at the greatest danger of death in wartime. Might there be a connection?    

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

mayslass wrote: Anybody here know the answer to this question which is a bit bewildering? Hi "mayslass", I never associated the term with dying but we used the expression with regard to running away from someone or something. It was usually preceded by the word "high", as in "high tailed it". That's not to say the term that someone has died is wrong.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

In Leeds the expression "Tailed 'em" was and still is to say that he or she has died. i always thought that it wa linked to "Tail end", as in tail end of the queue but as said earlier the tail gunner in bomber aircraft was the mot dangerous position.    sadly i am getting to hear this expression more and more recently.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Don't know of that one"Shook a seven" (as in not on the dice) or "kicked the bucket", "fell off perch" most common to my peers.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

'Tailed it' seems new to me also. 'Pegged it' is another expression for someone who has died.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jogon wrote: Don't know of that one"Shook a seven" (as in not on the dice) or "kicked the bucket", "fell off perch" most common to my peers. I thought to "shake a seven" or "throw a seven" meant to go to heaven as in heaven /seven rhyming.

jim

Post by jim »

"Thrown a seven" may refer to dice games such as craps, where two dice are used.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

"Pegged out" derives from cribbage.I must admit I had never heard "tailed it" until this thread.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

tilly

Post by tilly »

One I remember is popped his clogs Has in did you know so and so popped his glogs anyone else heard this.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.